Progressive. Collaborative. Accountable. Draw on your passion. Shape our community. Progressive and collaborative, with a clear, long-term vision. We value employees’ contributions and inspire excellence. We are driven by a desire to help shape and serve the growing community in which we live and work.
Advanced Care Paramedic
$41.67 to $45.30 per hour
As Required and Varied
As Required and Varied
Reporting to the Deputy Chief, Paramedic Services, is responsible for providing ambulance services, 24-hour pre-hospital emergency and non-emergency care, and transportation to and between hospitals for patients experiencing injury or illness; complying with the current Ambulance Act, Ministry of Health Basic Life Support Patient Care Standards, Advanced Life Support Patient Care Standards, Regional Base Hospital Program medical directives and
policies, the Highway Traffic Act, and other applicable legislation.
- Provides advanced emergency medical care for ill or injured persons by taking the lead at emergency sites with a focus on cardiovascular and respiratory systems and in providing pre-hospital life support.
- Provides transportation for ill or injured persons, to, from, and between treatment facilities, in specially equipped ambulance vehicles, as directed by the Central Ambulance Communications Centre (CACC).
- Provides effective patient assessment and treatment according to Provincial and Regional Base Hospital standards and protocols to level of certification.
- Prepares various reports including Ambulance Call Reports, Incident/Occurrence Reports, Vehicle Checklists and other reports as deemed appropriate by the Region’s EMS Branch and/or the Ministry of Health.
- Maintains cleanliness and sanitation of fleet vehicles; stocks vehicle medical supplies; reports any missing or malfunctioning equipment and vehicle defibrillator to the Supervisor through the electronic reporting systems.
- Maintains the cleanliness of paramedic response stations; stocks medical supplies and equipment, as appropriate.
- Interacts with members of the health care team, allied emergency care providers, the public and patients in a professional manner.
- Communicates with CACC to ensure they are advised of status and location at all times.
- Collaborates with medical staff and allied emergency care providers to facilitate timely treatment and support tothe client’s family and friends during the time of emergency care.
- Participates in public education and community events as assigned.
- Performs other duties, as assigned, to meet Branch and Department objectives.
- Advanced Emergency Medical Care Assistant (A-EMCA) or equivalency.
- Eligibility for certification in accordance with the Ambulance Act of Ontario.
- Successful completion of a Canadian Medical Association accredited Advanced Care Paramedic program.
- Must be able to achieve Base Hospital certification as an Advanced Care Paramedic within six (6) months of date of hire.
- Current certification in Symptom Relief and Defibrillation.
- Ontario Class “F” driver’s licence in good standing which meets the requirements of the Ambulance Act of Ontario.
- Satisfactory Police Vulnerable Sector Check.
- Knowledge of the Ambulance Act of Ontario, Ministry of Health Basic Life Support Patient Care Standards – Current Version, Advanced Life Support Patient Care Standards – Current Version, Regional Base Hospital Program medical directives and policies, applicable sections of the Highway Traffic Act, and other relevant legislation.
- Knowledge and demonstrated ability in corporate core competencies including customer focus, communication, collaboration and personal ownership.
How to Apply
Please apply online by November 3, 2020. We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted via email.