Faculty or Department: Office of VP, Research & Innovation
Number of Positions: 1
Position Title: Research Contracts Officer
Appointment Type: Limited Term
Hours of work: 35 hours per week
Salary Range: $69,371 to $81,613
Posting Date: November 20, 2020
Closing Date: November 26, 2020
The Office of Research Services is a central unit within Ontario Tech University. Flexibility, open-mindedness, and a team approach are necessary to accomplish the goal of establishing an innovative, interconnected, technologically-enabled, efficient and effective research facilitation and management service.
The Office of Research Services administers more than $14M annually in research funding from external sources. The goal of the Office of Research Services is to work effectively with the university community and external stakeholders to advance research opportunities and to maximize research funding.
Nature of Work:
Reporting to Research Legal Counsel in the Office of Research Services this position provides a broad range of support to facilitate research through drafting, reviewing, negotiating agreements, legal documentation and performing general administrative duties in the Contracts function for the research community. This position will work collaboratively with the Office of Research Services team, Deans and researchers in various Faculties.
- Developing research agreements based on internal templates or editing third party templates for research projects from all Faculties to a high professional standard and in conformance with current University guidelines and standards;
- Negotiating legal clauses and budgetary requirements with 3rd parties of University in order to resolve any contractual issues;
- Analysing the implications and repercussions of legal clauses or potential liability exposure of certain contractual clauses in order to ensure the protection of the University and its personnel;
- Providing expert assistance to the University research community regarding research agreement lifecycle management;
- Meeting with internal stakeholders to address contractual issues, including, but not limited to, parties’ rights and obligations, development of a scope of work, etc.;
- Assisting the Research Legal Counsel in the Office of Research Services with timely execution of research agreements;
- Contacting various private and/or public bodies within the framework of the required procedures, engaging in ongoing communication with all stakeholders and solving conflicts that arise during contract negotiations;
- Maintaining, in consultation with Research Legal Counsel, the best legal practices and procedures in order to ensure compliance with internal and external research guidelines, laws, etc.;
- In the spirit of collaboration, establishing excellent relationships with internal departments within the University;
- Liaising with Ontario Tech University General Counsel, as applicable,
- Updating and maintaining the contract management systems, for the initiation and monitoring of all research agreements;
- Performing closeout processes of fully executed agreements, as needed;
- Assisting as required with partnership development activities;
- Assisting with other office activities as required.