Open to all current Town of Oakville employees and external applicants.
This posting is for current and future opportunities and will be filled on an as needed basis. Applications will be considered for any openings that become available between now and December 31, 2020
- Assist elementary school children in crossing roads safely at designated school crossing locations in accordance with the Ontario Highway Traffic Act, the Occupational Health and Safety Act and Corporation guidelines.
- Wear mandatory safety equipment supplied by the Corporation of the Town of Oakville at all times while on duty.
- Must demonstrate a good sense of judgment to be able to determine timing for safe entry into the flow of traffic and be capable of crossing the roadway in a quick, orderly and safe manner.
- Exercise appropriate authority in a confident, decisive,firm, understanding and fair manner to require approaching vehicles to stop at their crossings.
- Report and document any problems, e.g. weather conditions, children, and motorists, to Supervisor of Crossing Guards.
- Must be punctual and stay for the entire scheduled shift time.
- Apply safety percautions and procedures in the performance of duties in accordance with the Occpational Health and Safety Act policies of the Town of Oakville.
- Must be available for the entire school year from September until the end of June.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Superior customer service skills and the ability to work with minimal supervision are imperative, as the successful candidate will be working with a wide variety of individuals including children, Town residents and the public, and will need to immediately report any concerns to supervisory staff.
- Demonstrate a good sense of judgment to be able to determine timing for safe entry into the flow of traffic.
- Knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and Highway Traffic Act.
- Must be dependable, available, physically fit, of good character and possess an understanding of young people.
- Must be willing to work in all forms of weather, including extremes of heat, humidity, cold, rain, snow, sleet, and wind and be capable of working under all types of road conditions, exposure to traffic noise and exhaust from vehicles.
- A valid Class “G” Ontario Driver’s License is an asset.
- Please note that this position requires a satisfactory criminal record and vulnerable sector screening check dated within the last 30 days as a condition of employment.
Applications for this position must be received at oakville.ca in the employment section by no later than midnight on December 31, 2020
DATED: July 14, 2020
This job profile reflects the general details considered necessary to perform the principal functions and shall not be construed as an interpretation of all work requirements inherent in the job. Applicants are required to demonstrate in their applications and in the interview process that their qualifications for the positions match those specified. Applicants may be required to undergo a skills assessment.