Temporary CUPE 136T
Open to all current Town of Oakville employees and external applicants
The duration of this contract will be approximately 6 months
Salary Range: $27.39 (Full time rate)
$26.79 (Temporary rate)
This position reports to the Supervisor, Cemeteries & Environmental Services receiving daily direction from the Leadhand(s), and responsible for the safe operation, maintenance and service of Parks & Open Space equipment, the performance of general maintenance in parks, sports fields, and/or cemeteries, including but not limited to litter pick up, park set up and washroom cleaning. The functions performed in this position are in accordance with established procedures and practices. Work is checked and reviewed during the performance of same.
- Performs litter pick up and washroom cleaning in any park maintained by the Town; reports any incomplete work or issues to the Lead-hand, Environmental Services;
- Collects limbs and brush; rakes; perform debris and litter pick-up from roadsides, creeks, parking lots, etc;
- Adheres to assigned schedules of waste picks up, washroom and facility cleaning and small litter removal;
- Provides litter pick up on daily basis of all parks, schools, cemeteries, sports fields and trails;
- Distributes garbage cans and picnic tables to parks in the spring and for special events; collects cans at end of season;
- Performs routine maintenance and service including: lubricates, cleans and washes trucks, trailers and minor repairs to hand tools;
- Maintains inventory garbage cans and ensures high standard of washroom facility maintenance;
- Ensures safe and responsible operation of all Town vehicles including side and rear packer units and various pieces of equipment.
- Maintains vehicles and equipment in a clean, tidy condition, making regular inspections, reporting defects, etc. in a prescribed manner. Apply safety precautions and procedures in accordance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act, Ministry of Transportation Temporary Conditions for Road Work and Town of Oakville policies in the performance of all duties.
- Ability to perform all aspects of Parks’ winter control including hand shoveling, applying sand/salt or ice melter and operating various winter pieces of equipment.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of Grade 12 education or acceptable equivalent in education and experience.
- Preference will be given to candidates having a minimum of 1 year’s previous experience with machines and equipment used which includes: trucks, vans, tractors, loaders, mowing equipment, small hand equipment, 0 – 8 ton crane operation training.
- Must possess mechanical aptitude an understanding of the Highway Traffic Act and knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act;
- Demonstrated effective communication, both oral and written, customer service skills;
- Proficient time management skills and flexibility in adjusting between a variety of duties. Ability to work with limited supervision and to work as part of a team.
- Must hold and provide a copy of a valid and unrestricted Ontario Driver’s Licence Class DZ minimum (standard and automatic transmission) with a driving record that demonstrates responsible and safe driving behaviour. Note: Applicants with 6 or more points are ineligible for consideration. The successful applicant, who is a new hire, will be required to provide the Corporation with a current drivers abstract (no older than 30 days) and pass a Town administered road test as a condition of employment;
- Please note that successful candidates, who are new hires and/or who have not performed in this position previously will be required to provide a satisfactory criminal record check dated within the last 30 days as a condition of employment;
- Must be willing to work a 40-hour workweek in varying weather conditions and be available to work a rotating shift, including weekend shifts as required.
Applications for this position must be submitted at oakville.ca in the employment section by no later than midnight on July 20, 2020
DATED: July 13, 2020
This job profile reflects the general requirements necessary to perform the principal functions of the job. This does not include all of the work requirements of the job. Applicants are required to demonstrate through their application and in the interview process that their qualifications match those specified. The minimum threshold score for the interview is 75%.