Responsible for the provision of traffic control services at designated locations and times throughout the Municipality to ensure pedestrians, in particular school children, safe crossing of roadways.
1. Discretion and judgement to assess when to stop vehicular traffic and when it is safe to permit school children to cross, alertness and observation skills, ability to actively supervise children while crossing.
2. Ability to deal courteously and effectively with school children, pedestrians, school and/or other staff.
3. Strong verbal communication skills to explain the rules of safe crossing, communicate to school administration staff and facilitate two way communication in person or by telephone with supervisory personnel.
4. Ability to work in all weather conditions such as heat, cold, snow and rain.
5. Must be capable of standing and/or walking for extended period of time.
6. Availability to work flexible hours and split shifts in the morning, afternoon and over lunch hours during school days.
7. A working knowledge of traffic safety.
8. Criminal Reference check is requires as the duties of the job requires staff to interact with children unsupervised. The Town of Newmarket is committed to carefully screening staff that have access to vulnerable persons.