School Crossing Guard
Position status: Open
Experience it – Ajax!
The Town of Ajax, situated on the northern shore of Lake Ontario, is an innovative municipal sector leader that provides a variety of services to one of the fastest growing communities in Ontario. With over 119,000 residents, Ajax’s rich heritage and culturally diverse community make it a great place to work and live.
Great People, Great Culture!
While embracing change, the employees of the Town of Ajax will meet the challenges of the future and be seen as innovative public sector leaders. As a team of valued employees, taking pride and ownership in all that we do, we will exceed expectations and strive to be known as the Town that thinks like a business and acts with a strong sense of community.
Part Time: School Crossing Guards
The School Crossing Guards give back to the community by facilitating the safe crossing of school-age children as they go to and from school. This posting is for current and future opportunities and will be filled on an as needed basis.
Hours of work:
School Crossing Guards work during the school year (September - June, excludes holidays and PA days) and must be available to work shifts between the hours of 7:30 am - 4:00 pm Monday - Friday, exact times are based on crossing guard location. Guards are required to be at their assigned crossing site in the morning, during lunchtime and after school.
- Wear mandatory safety equipment supplied by the Town at all times while on duty
- Must be punctual and stay for the entire scheduled shift time
- Must demonstrate a good sense of judgment to be able to determine timing for safe entry into the flow of traffic and be capable of crossing the roadway in a quick, orderly and safe manner.
- Be able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the public
- Be able to remain calm and use good judgment in emergency situations
- Be able to work independently without supervision
- Be able to stand and/or walk for up to four hours per day
- Be able to work in adverse weather conditions including extremes of heat, humidity, cold, rain, snow, sleet, and wind and be capable of working under all types of road conditions, exposure to traffic noise and exhaust from vehicles
- Should not have any red/green visual color perception deficiency
- Be able to understand and clearly communicate in the English language
- Able to supply a satisfactory Criminal Reference/Vulnerable Sector Check upon being hire
We would like to thank all applicants however, please note that only those selected to attend an interview will be contacted and all other applicants will be kept on file. Applicants are advised that written, oral and practical testing may form part of the selection process.
Applicants must provide a valid email address for communication purposes (one that you check on a regular basis). If your email address changes, please update your profile with your new email address.
The Town of Ajax is an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity and accessibility within the workplace where all employees feel valued, respected and supported. As a best practice employer, the Town embraces diversity and gender expression through policy, staff training and providing positive spaces. The Town encourages applications from all qualified candidates. If selected for an interview, please inform Human Resources staff of any accommodation you may require during the process
Are you a returning applicant?
If you do not remember your password click here.