Contract Duration: 1 Year Contract Position
Under the direction of the Supervisor, Construction Projects and site-supervision of the Site Supervisor, the Senior Field Staff carries out construction activities on erosion control, slope stabilization, stream restoration, infrastructure protection, park development and other environmental engineering projects. This position requires interaction with the public through relaying information such as trail closures and various types of work taking place that may impact them. Overall this position plays an integral role in ensuring the protection of land and infrastructure in TRCA’s watershed.
- Assists with the implementation of a range of engineering projects by performing duties such as installing fencing, signage, plant materials, and erosion control products.
- Performs checker/flagger and traffic control duties at various sites throughout TRCA’s jurisdiction.
- Assists with the implementation of erosion control structures such as armour stone walls, vegetative rip rap buttress and mechanically stabilized earth walls.
- Assists with the installation of various in-water works including vegetative buttresses, pool-riffle sequences, bio-engineering techniques (root wads).
- Operates trucks (including small dump trucks) and trailers when required, and able to work near heavy equipment.
- Minimum one (1) year of post-secondary education in resource management, restoration ecology, environmental sciences, fish and wildlife management or related field.
- Valid Ontario "G" driver’s licence.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Use sound judgement, knowledge and experience of the trade to make on site decisions when required at the discretion of your supervisor.
- Knowledge and understanding of the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Required to constantly participate in physical activities - lifting, pulling, pushing, and hammering.
- Regularly required to lift objects up to 40 kg.
- Work in all adverse weather conditions.
- Prior experience working outdoors doing physical work.
- Knowledge of environmental protection legislation.
To apply to this posting, click on the “Apply” icon. Please submit your resume and cover letter quoting job posting # TRCA-250-19 prior to midnight on October 22, 2019.
While TRCA thanks all applicants for their interest, only those under consideration will be contacted for interviews. Please be advised successful incumbent(s) who are not presently permanent TRCA employees may be required to undergo a vulnerable sector and/or driver’s abstract check.
TRCA is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive workplace. Our goal is to attract, develop and retain highly talented employees from diverse backgrounds, allowing us to benefit from a wide variety of experiences and perspectives. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and TRCA’s Accommodation Policy, accommodation will be provided at any point throughout the hiring process, provided the candidate makes their accommodation needs known to the Authority. We welcome applications from all qualified persons.