Contract Duration: Mid-April to Mid-May 2020
Reporting to the Supervisor, the Kitchen Assistant is responsible for the preparation and serving of meals according to menu plans. The Kitchen Assistant will ensure that all food preparation and presentation meet standards and specifications, and will maintain a safe, orderly and sanitized kitchen through proper food handling techniques. This position is best suited for someone that has a love of food and passion for learning.
- Ensure the highest standards and consistent quality in daily meal preparation.
- Follow all hygiene/safety procedures.
- Correctly date and store food, sanitize equipment and take other measures to ensure integrity and quality of food products.
- Use equipment skillfully by following correct safe procedures (e.g. knives, machines).
- Monitor kitchen maintenance and report any defects of operating equipment.
- Wash and store all cooking and serving dishes.
- Clean kitchen surfaces, equipment and floors.
- Ensure a positive and professional working environment throughout the kitchen.
- Report accidents, injuries and unsafe work conditions to direct supervisor.
- Perform other reasonable job duties as assigned by direct supervisors.
- Secondary school education or an equivalent combination of education, skills and experience.
- Completion or enrolment in cooking/food service courses or certificate program an asset.
- 1-2 years’ experience in a high-volume food service business.
- Food Handler’s Certificate.
- Smart Serve Certification an asset
- Standard First Aid Certification an asset.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent customer service and communication skills.
- Ability to perform repetitive duties.
- Good attention to detail.
To apply to this posting, click on the “Apply” icon. Please submit your resume and cover letter quoting job posting #TRCA-270-19 prior to midnight on December 30, 2019.
While TRCA thanks all applicants for their interest, only those under consideration will be contacted for interviews. Please be advised successful incumbent(s) who are not presently permanent TRCA employees may be required to undergo a vulnerable sector and/or driver’s abstract check.
TRCA is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive workplace. Our goal is to attract, develop and retain highly talented employees from diverse backgrounds, allowing us to benefit from a wide variety of experiences and perspectives. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and TRCA’s Accommodation Policy, accommodation will be provided at any point throughout the hiring process, provided the candidate makes their accommodation needs known to the Authority. We welcome applications from all qualified persons.