Under close supervision of Crew Leader, the Field Staff, Environmental Monitoring and Data Management position is responsible for carrying out waterfront and inland monitoring and data collection activities in support of TRCA’s environmental monitoring programs and projects. In particular, this position participates in surveying aquatic habitat, utilizing environmental monitoring instruments and equipment and enters data in spreadsheets and databases. This position also involves equipment maintenance, environmental data entry.
- fish and benthic invertebrates sampling, water quality data collection (e.g., collect water samples and use appropriate equipment to measure specific water quality parameters), sediment samples collection and other aquatic habitat data collection using standardized protocols (e.g., Ontario Stream Assessment Protocol).
- Assist in wildlife and fish management activities such as goose counts, egg oiling and round-up for relocation, and sea lamprey counts and removal as part of sea lamprey trap operation.
- Use various types of monitoring equipment, including: boats; GPS units; hand-held water quality instruments (e.g., turbidity meter); water level, flow and temperature loggers/meters; and biological sampling equipment such as electrofisher units (backpack) and various types of nets.
- Maintain equipment (storage, organization, minor repairs).
- Organize field data records and enter environmental monitoring data into internal and external databases.
- Contributes data and text to environmental monitoring reports and/or data/results summaries for internal clients (e.g., Restoration Projects group) and external clients (e.g., local municipalities): compile results summaries and clarify observations made in the field.
- Post-secondary education in biology, environmental science, resource management or a related field.
- Experience working outdoors in adverse weather conditions an asset.
- Experience using various biological sampling equipment, including electrofishing units an asset.
- G Class Driver’s Licence.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Strong verbal communication skills, interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team setting.
- Computer literacy.
- Ability to work outdoors in adverse weather conditions.
- Ability to work in, on and around water.
To apply to this posting, click on the “Apply” icon. Please submit your resume and cover letter quoting job posting #TRCA-085-20 prior to midnight on February 25, 2020.
While TRCA thanks all applicants for their interest, only those under consideration will be contacted for interviews. Please be advised successful incumbent(s) who are not presently permanent TRCA employees may be required to undergo a vulnerable sector and/or driver’s abstract check.
TRCA is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive workplace. Our goal is to attract, develop and retain highly talented employees from diverse backgrounds, allowing us to benefit from a wide variety of experiences and perspectives. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and TRCA’s Accommodation Policy, accommodation will be provided at any point throughout the hiring process, provided the candidate makes their accommodation needs known to the Authority. We welcome applications from all qualified persons.