Contract Duration: 7 Month Contract (April 6, 2020 - October 26, 2020)
Number of Positions Available: Multiple
The Field Assistant is responsible for carrying out waterfront and inland monitoring and data collection activities in support of TRCA’s environmental monitoring programs and projects. This position participates in surveying aquatic habitat and communities utilizing environmental monitoring instruments and equipment. This position also involves equipment maintenance and environmental data entry.
Perform the following tasks under supervision:
- Perform fieldwork and environmental data collection, including fish and benthic invertebrates sampling, water quality data collection, sediment samples collection and other aquatic habitat data collection following specific protocols.
- Assist in wildlife and fish management activities such as goose counts and round-up for relocation, and sea lamprey counts and removal as part of the sea lamprey trap operation.
- Use various types of monitoring equipment, including: boats; GPS units; hand-held water quality instruments (e.g., turbidity meter); water level, flow and temperature loggers/meters; and biological sampling equipment such as electrofisher units (boat, backpack) and various types of nets.
- Maintain equipment (storage, organization, minor repairs).
- Perform environmental data QA/QC and entry.
- All activities are expected to be performed in a safe manner, in accordance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and its Regulations, along with Corporate Safety policies, procedures and programs. All necessary personal protective equipment (will be provided by TRCA) must be used and maintained in good condition.
- Currently enrolled or completed a post-secondary education in biology, environmental science, resource management or a related field and pursuing a career in environmental or related field.
- G Class Driver’s Licence.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to identify common flora and fauna species found in the Toronto area.
- Familiarity with biological sampling equipment, including boat and backpack electrofishing units, and environmental monitoring instruments.
- Comfortable working with watercraft from 8 to 32 feet in length.
- Strong verbal communication skills, interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team setting.
- Computer literacy.
- Ability to work outdoors in adverse weather conditions.
- Ability to work in, on and around water.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
To apply to this posting, click on the “Apply” icon. Please submit your resume and cover letter quoting job posting #TRCA-084-20 prior to midnight on February 24, 2020.
While TRCA thanks all applicants for their interest, only those under consideration will be contacted for interviews. Please be advised successful incumbent(s) who are not presently permanent TRCA employees may be required to undergo a vulnerable sector and/or driver’s abstract check.
TRCA is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive workplace. Our goal is to attract, develop and retain highly talented employees from diverse backgrounds, allowing us to benefit from a wide variety of experiences and perspectives. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and TRCA’s Accommodation Policy, accommodation will be provided at any point throughout the hiring process, provided the candidate makes their accommodation needs known to the Authority. We welcome applications from all qualified persons.