6M Medicine, Oncology & Palliative Care
Must be available for all 3 shifts – days, nights, and weekends ; Must be available to work 12-hour rotations.
$27.812 to $30.186 per hour
At St Joseph’s Health Centre Toronto, everything we do is aimed at living our mission and achieving our vision of advancing the health of our community by being Canada’s best community teaching Health Centre. This means we are committed to delivering exceptional experiences, shaping care through teaching and education, and providing seamless services for patients.
A Catholic hospital fully accredited with exemplary standing by Accreditation Canada, St. Joe’s Toronto is fortunate to be home to an entire community of people who live our values and mission every day — the staff, physicians, volunteers and students — that our patients and families will get to know during their experiences with us.
Working here means more than having a job; it means being part of a community where each and every member of our team is recognized and appreciated.
Working on 6M Medicine/oncology/palliative care, the RPN will function to the full scope of College of Nurses of Ontario Standards. This is a dynamic and fast-paced environment where an exciting opportunity exists to join the interprofessional acute care team. Our goal is to deliver innovative, patient and family-centred health care with compassion and respect.
Currently 6M is an oncology and general medicine unit. Planning is underway for spring of 2017 to include 10 palliative care beds within this 35 bed unit. Patients are often complex and medically fragile, requiring staff to have excellent assessment and critical thinking skills.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
•Demonstrates an evidence-based approach in their professional nursing practice in accordance with best practice guidelines, policies, procedures and standards of care.
•Assumes an active role in partnering with patients, families and other health care providers to ensure optimal health care.
•Responsible for the assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation of interventions and care for assigned patients.
•Educates patients and families in self-management and preparation for discharge.
•Administers medications and other therapeutic interventions within defined scope of practice
•Participates in quality improvement initiatives, supports the maintenance of a safe and healthy work environment, and advances a culture of patient/family/staff safety through their daily practice.
•Mentors/Precepts/Orients staff and students as required.
1. Successful completion of a Practical Nursing Diploma Program.
2. Currently registered as a Registered Practical Nurse with the College of Nurses of Ontario.
3. Current BLS/CPR certificate required.
4. Palliative care courses an asset.
5. Recent acute inpatient medicine clinical experience and/or palliative/oncology experience required. Candidates without this experience may be considered if there are no other internal or external qualified candidates.
6. Demonstrated clinical competence with general medicine nursing skills.
7. Excellent physical assessment skills, critical thinking skills and problem solving skills.
8. Demonstrated understanding and commitment to patient & family-centred care.
9. Demonstrated understanding of the philosophy of palliative care as it applies to the patient, the family and the multidisciplinary team required.
10. Demonstrated ability to organize patient care demands and to set priorities in a rapidly changing environment.
11. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal.
12. Demonstrated ability to engage and educate patients and families.
13. Demonstrated commitment to ongoing professional development and learning.
14. Demonstrated computer skills.
15. Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively within an interprofessional team as well as independently
16. Satisfactory attendance record.
How To Apply
If you are interested and qualified for this position, we invite you to send us your resume by one of the following methods.
In support of persons’ with disabilities, St. Joseph’s Health Centre asks that job applicants with disabilities who require accommodation in the recruitment and selection process, please advise Human Resources if contacted for an interview/testing, so that a suitable accommodation can be arranged. (In compliance with AODA, 2005, Integrated Accessibility Standards 2011, Employment Standards). If you require assistance in completing a job application due to a disability please contact Human Resources directly at 416-530-6460.
Current St. Joseph’s Health Centre employees who wish to apply for the above position must submit an electronic transfer request to Human Resources.
Electronic transfer requests can be submitted internally by choosing the position from this link, clicking "APPLY NOW", and completing the form. To access the Electronic Transfer Request system from outside the Health Centre, please click on the "For Staff" section of this site, found in the top right corner, and log-in to Access SJNet. Postings are located under the Human Resources Section of SJNet.
- FileAccepted file types: pdf, doc, docx.
- I acknowledge that I have reviewed the Health Centre’s Mission and Values. If successful in obtaining employment with St. Joseph’s Health Centre, I will commit to supporting the Mission and living the Values in every aspect of my work.
- I agree that the information I am providing in my attached resume is true, accurate, and complete
All personal information collected through the St. Joseph’s Health Centre application and hiring process will be used for the purposes of determining suitability for the role to which you have applied.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Register for Career Alerts
- Current Occupation
- Job Categories
- Clinical Leadership and Education
- Support Service Leadership
- Nursing (RN, RPN)
- Other Regulated Care Providers (e.g.- MSW, OT, PT, RT)
- Technicians/Technologists (e.g.-Lab, Diagnostic Imaging, Clinical Engineering)
- Unregulated Care Providers (Health Care Attendants)
- Clerical and Administrative Support
- Business Support Services (e.g.-IT, Finance, Human Resources)
- Other Support Services (e.g. Porters, Nutrition Services, Cleaners, Maintenance)
- Area of Speciality / Expertise
- Emails from the subscription system will be coming from firstname.lastname@example.org. Please add this to your list of safe senders so the subscription notices are not mistakenly sent to your Junk Mail.
- NameThis field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.