Registered Practical Nurse - Day Surgery Unit (CEN)
Across our three hospitals and eight satellite sites, Scarborough Health Network (SHN) is shaping the future of care. Our many programs and services are designed around the needs of one of Canada’s most vibrant and diverse communities. We are home to North America’s largest nephrology program, as well as the designated cardiac care and spine centre for Scarborough and surrounding communities to the east. We are proud to be a community-affiliated teaching site for the University of Toronto and partner with a number of other universities and colleges, helping to train the next generation of health care professionals. Learn more at shn.ca
The completion of this online form serves as your application and will be used to determine if you meet the requirements of this position. Please ensure that you have provided all pertinent information necessary to be considered for this vacancy by the close date.
Reporting to the Manager of Surgical Suites, the successful candidate will be responsible for assessing, planning implementation and evaluating nursing care and practice activities in a multidisciplinary family centred care environment. The Registered Practical Nurse will be responsible for personal patient care, vital signs, physical assessment, administration of medications, initiating and monitoring IV’s, setting up medical equipment as appropriate and other duties as assigned.
• Current certification with the College of Nurses of Ontario
• Competent to perform CPR at a Basic Cardiac Life Support level
• Health assessment course or equivalent experience
• Current/recent (minimum of 2 years) surgical nursing experience
• Demonstrated knowledge and skills in assessment and evaluation of post anaesthetic patients
• Ability to work independently and to exercise sound judgement
• Excellent communication, documentation, and interpersonal skills with the ability to work well with patients, families, all levels of staff and the community
• Ability to perform the essential duties of the position
• Evidence of sound organizational and prioritization skills with the ability to work well in stressful situations
•Demonstrates a commitment to customer service when dealing with patients, colleagues and volunteers and other members of the community and public
•Demonstrates values consistent with SHN′s Code of Conduct and is committed to fostering a healthy and positive work environment in accordance with Health & Safety policy and legislation.
•Demonstrates an understanding of and commitment to SHN’s comprehensive safety programs and practices including staff safety, patient safety, and environmental safety and participates in regular in-service education in this area.
•Demonstrates excellent work performance and attendance record
Scarborough Health Network (SHN) embraces and celebrates our community’s unique multicultural heritage and diversity. SHN is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a culture of inclusiveness and diversity reflecting our diverse patients, staff and community alike. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs.