Intermediate Distributed Systems Specialist - Java/Spring
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
|January 11, 2019|
|Term Vacancy Notice|
|2 years from hire|
| 20002757 |
|OPSEU - 13 ($72,051.25 - $91,272.36)|
|36.25 hours per week|
|Manager, Application Infrastructure|
|Guaranteed return to home|
- Qualified OPSEU members will be considered before qualified members of other employee groups.
- Applicants who do not meet all of the posted qualifications may, upon the University’s sole discretion, be considered to fill a vacancy on an underfill basis.
How to applyApply online before: Friday March 29, 2019 (4:30pm)
At the intersection of mind and action, Ryerson is on a transformative path to become Canada’s leading comprehensive innovation university. Integral to this path is the placement of equity, diversity and inclusion as fundamental to our institutional culture. Our current academic plan outlines each as core values and we work to embed them in all that we do.
Ryerson University welcomes those who have demonstrated a commitment to upholding the values of equity, diversity, and inclusion and will assist us to expand our capacity for diversity in the broadest sense. In addition, to correct the conditions of disadvantage in employment in Canada, we encourage applications from members of groups that have been historically disadvantaged and marginalized, including First Nations, Metis and Inuit peoples, Indigenous peoples of North America, racialized persons, persons with disabilities, and those who identify as women and/or 2SLGBTQ+. Please note that all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, applications from Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
As an employer, we’re working towards a people first culture and we’re proud to have been selected as one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers and one of Greater Toronto’s Top Employer for 2015, 2016, and 2017. To learn more about our work environment and innovative educational environment, visit http://www.ryerson.ca, check out @RyersonU, @RyersonHR, and @RyersonEDI on Twitter, and visit our LinkedIn company page
Computer and Communications Services (CCS)
Computing and Communications Services (CCS) is Ryerson’s central IT organization, supporting the university’s voice and data communications, learning management system, ERP applications, systems integration, identity management, computer labs, application support, web application development, streaming media services, presentation technology-enabled classrooms and much more. As an employer, we’re working towards a people first culture and we’re proud to have been selected as one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers and one of Greater Toronto’s Top Employers for 2016. Integral to this path is the placement of equity, diversity and inclusion as part of our DNA - our academic planoutlines each as core values and we work to embed them in all that we do. We are extremely proud of our university and what we are accomplishing as a department. We welcome you to get to know our people and services better before you decide to apply to join our team. Visit us at http://www.ryerson.ca/ccs/ and search @RyersonU and @bdlesser on Twitter.
Intermediate Distributed Systems Specialist Role
Application Infrastructure team develops, builds and supports applications and services that connects with various systems within Ryerson. Our applications integrate data among different sources, manage Ryerson users online identity and resources and provide convenient and collaborative tools for academic and administrative tasks.
The Intermediate Distributed Systems Specialist works closely with faculty and staff to design, implement, test, and support n-tier web applications across Ryerson which are robust and secure and which provide optimal academic and administrative value. You will be part of a software development team with expertise in Java, Spring Framework, Web Services, and other technologies. A major part of your role will be to develop, integrate and build upon our identity and resource management system called Ryerson Management System (RMS), as well as other systems and applications.
To help us learn more about you, please provide a cover letter and resume describing how you meet the following required qualifications:
- Successful completion of a four year post-secondary degree in Computer Science, or Electrical Engineering, Mathematics with a minor specialization in Computer Science and a minimum of three years experience building medium-sized complex systems that includes every phase of project management: requirement analysis design, implementation, testing and maintenance and hands-on experience in Java/Java EE, Spring Framework, API Gateway/ESB, Spring Integration,SQL, Docker and Web Service.
- Extensive theoretical and practical knowledge and demonstrated currency in:
- Software development cycle
- Agile development
- Reactive programming
- System/application security
- Data Modeling and Database design
- A demonstrated commitment to client service, excellent interpersonal skills are required.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Aptitude for self-directed learning and collaborative development with the team
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent judgement, decision-making and problem solving skills are required.
- Strong analytical skills are needed to analyze requirements for consistency, technical feasibility and costs; developing systems plans, including requirements for distributed client and server applications and networked hardware and software.
- Strong organizational, multitasking and time management skills
- Candidates may be asked to demonstrate qualifications through an occupational test.
- Candidates must have demonstrated record of dependability/reliability and a commitment to maintain confidentiality.
- Applications can be accepted only online through the Ryerson Career Opportunities page.
Return to Job PostingsApply for this job