Addictions Services 17-bed Residential Withdrawal Management Services is located offsite from the main RVH campus. As the Addition Counsellor, you will attend to the admission, assessment, care and discharge of clients while utilizing crisis intervention techniques. Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Providing individual counselling
- Completing addiction related assessments including CIWA, COWS etc.
- Providing health teaching and education
- Facilitation of psychoeducational groups
- Utilizing crisis intervention techniques as required
- Completing referrals to community partners and appropriate treatment settings
- Work collaboratively within a multidisciplinary team to ensure continuity of patient care
- Acting as liaison between patients and community partners, ensuring the patient is connected with the appropriate community agencies prior to time of discharge
- Completing appropriate documentation as required
- Patient assessments and counselling in the Emergency Department or other departments of the organization as required
- Other duties as assigned
As a qualified candidate you will have the following job requirements:
- Minimum Grade 12 with post-secondary education in the area of the Humanities, or equivalent
- Basic CPR and First Aid certifications
- Certification as an Addictions Counselor with the Canadian Addiction Counsellors
- Certification Federation (ICADC) considered an asset
- Training in the Global Appraisal of Individual Needs (GAINS Assessment)
- 6 months of experience in the addictions/health care field desired
- Knowledge of pharmacology and prescription medications an asset
You will be a great fit for this position if you have:
- Demonstrated a non-judgmental attitude towards all clients
- Demonstrated good communication/interpersonal skills
- Ability to `observe’ clients and record in client files appropriately
Unless otherwise stated applicants must have a minimum educational requirement of Grade 12 or equivalent and must demonstrate proven workplace excellence through commitment to strong job performance and attendance.
Please be reminded that as a Regional Health Centre, in order to provide the necessary patient care, our operations run 24/7. Therefore, depending on the program for which you are applying, it may be an expectation that you are available to work week days and weekends, as well as all shifts - days, evenings, and nights.
RVH is committed to diversity and employment equity in the workplace and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals, including women, visible minorities, Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ persons, and others who may contribute to a diverse workplace.
Accommodation in the Workplace
RVH offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment process, and is committed to the principles of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). RVH will work proactively through all stages of recruitment to create a barrier-free process and to provide accommodations as required. If you require accommodation during the interview process, please contact Human Resources at 705-739-5605.
Health & Safety Workplace Responsibilities
- Must adhere to the duties of workers, as stipulated in Section 28 of the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Must adhere to all RVH administrative and applicable departmental occupational health and safety policies, procedures and protocol.
- Must adhere to Bill 132 of the Occupational Health and Safety Act in regards to the Sexual Violence and Harassment Action Plan Act, and creating a work environment free of psychological harassment.
- Must be able to perform all bona fide essential duties in the position description, which may include lifting and moving patients, pushing, pulling, bending, stooping, etc.
- Must complete a pre-employment health assessment, including review of the Job Demands Analysis for the position, as a condition of employment.
- Must strive to continuously provide a safe and supportive environment for patients, staff, physicians, and volunteers.
Our Code of Conduct
All staff, physicians, volunteers, service providers and students are committed to creating a positive, respectful work environment for each other and our patients and families.
RVH is guided by its MY CARE strategic plan which puts patients and families at the centre of all we do.
Make each life better. Together.
Our Mission Statement
Exceptional care is our passion.
People are our inspiration.
Safety is our promise.
Work Together | Respect All | Think Big | Own It | Care
If you are interested in joining our inspiring team, please apply online before 1100pm EST on the posting close date. Royal Victoria Regional Health Centre thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. If interviewed, an accompanying portfolio may be required which will include documented evidence of course completion. An inclusive, barrier-free selection process will be provided as required under RVHs Employment Accommodation Policy. Applicants need to make their needs known to Human Resources in advance and information related to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
As part of the mandatory screen process RVH requires professional references, verification of academic training, professional accreditation, plus a current Criminal Records Check and Vulnerable Sector Screening.