Date of Posting: November 1, 2019
Title: Signal Maintainer
Posting #: 2019-2029
Position #: R00570
Department/Division: Transportation & Environmental Services/Transportation
Hours of Work: 40 hours per week; Mon – Fri 7:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Participates in rotational on-call emergency stand-by system and is required to respond to emergency situations outside regular working hours. Works shifts as required. Occasionally works weekends, evenings, and holidays
Union: C.U.P.E. Local 1656
Wage: $56,238.00 - $59,204.60 per annum / $30.90 - $32.53 per hour
Location: Operations Centre, 100 Maple Grove Road, Cambridge
Closing Date: November 17, 2019
Description of Duties:
Performs the day-to-day activities of a traffic signal repair crew in the installation, maintenance, and repair of electrical traffic control devices.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
• Functional knowledge of the proper operation and use of equipment and tools related to the installation, maintenance, and repair of electric traffic control devices, and materials purchasing processes, normally acquired through a Grade 12 education, Journeyperson status as a Construction and Maintenance Electrician (309A), plus 3 years of directly related experience as an Electrician with Journeyperson status.
• Must possess International Municipal Signal Association (IMSA) Level I and Level II (Traffic Signals) certification or be able to attain certification within two years of hire.
• Knowledge of and ability to follow corporate standards, policies, and practices, Regional Field Manual, traffic and parking by-laws, Ontario Traffic Manual, Electrical Code, Electrical & Utility Safety Association (E&USA) standards, Provincial and Federal legislation including the Occupational Health & Safety Act, Highway Traffic Act, and related on-the-job training, including WHMIS, First Aid & CPR.
• Communication skills to receive and comprehend instructions; interact positively with supervisors, other staff, and the public; occasionally provide general verbal information to the public inquiring about the traffic signal function; and participate as an effective team member.
• Ability to complete vehicle maintenance checklists, forms, time cards, Commercial Vehicle Operator’s Registration (CVOR) reports, daily activity sheets, purchase requisitions, work orders, locate books, controller logs. Ability to read, understand, and interpret Traffic Protection Plans and technical trade journal articles. Ability to read and interpret plans and blueprints for signals.
• Computer skills using software such as Microsoft Word, email, and a work order management system. Ability to operate timing units.
• Must possess a valid Class "D" drivers licence with "Z" (Air Brake) endorsement upon hire or within probationary period, as well as a satisfactory driving record to operate an aerial boom truck and other Regional vehicles.
• The maximum physical weight of the incumbent cannot exceed 250 pounds to ensure the combined weight of the incumbent, equipment, and tools does not exceed the aerial device’s weight capacity.
• Participates in rotational on-call emergency stand-by system and is required to respond to emergency situations outside regular working hours. Workd shifts as assigned as part of a regular rotation (including weekends, days, evenings, nights, and holidays).
• Ability to support and demonstrate the Region’s values.
Please apply online, by the closing date Nov 17, 2019 quoting competition number 2019-2029, or drop off your resume to the Region of Waterloo, Information Desk located on the main floor at 150 Frederick Street, Kitchener, ON N2G 4J3.
We thank all applicants in advance; however, we will be corresponding only with those selected for an interview.
The Region of Waterloo is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We encourage qualified applicants to apply and will accommodate the needs of qualified applicants under the Human Rights Code in all parts of the hiring process.
Alternate formats of this document are available upon request. Please contact the Service First Call Centre at phone number (519) 575-4400, TTY number (519-575-4608) to request an alternate format.
Click here to view the job description pdf file.
The Regional Municipality of Waterloo,
Human Resources Department
150 Frederick Street, 3rd Floor,
Kitchener, Ontario N2G 4J3