Department/Division: Transportation & Environmental Services/Design & Construction
Hours of Work: 35 hours per week
Union: Management/Management Support
Salary/Wage: $89,507.60 – $111,893.60 per annum
Location: Administration Headquarters, 150 Frederick Street, Kitchener
Closing Date: July 12, 2020
Description of Duties:
Plans, designs, and manages the construction and rehabilitation of engineering projects, including environmental engineering (water treatment, supply and storage, wastewater treatment, solid waste disposal), and transportation engineering (e.g., roads, bridges).
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
• Knowledge of civil engineering, engineering methods/administration, contract administration and law, and budget preparation/monitoring normally acquired through a diploma in civil engineering technology, plus progressively responsible related experience in a project management environment.
• Membership/eligibility for membership in the Ontario Association of Certified Engineering Technicians and Technologists, at the Technologist level.
• Knowledge of and ability to comply with policies, procedures, practices, collective agreements, related guidelines, contract laws, and legislation (e.g., health and safety, construction, water, environmental protection act, environmental assessment).
• Analytical, problem solving, and continuous improvement skills to work independently on concurrent projects; review decisions/problems with Regional/political sensitivity with management; explore project alternatives individually or as part of a project team; make recommendations on improvements to contract standards and existing engineering standards/procedures; and ensure projects are delivered on time, on budget, and per legal contracts.
• Communication, human relations, and negotiation skills to direct and guide contractors, consultants, and staff; coordinate project requirements; respond to inquiries and conduct public drop-in centres, open houses, and formal public meetings; present to committees, area municipalities, and Councils; communicate with the public during construction to avoid conflict/claims; represent the Region’s interests in contract interpretation and negotiations; and participate as an effective team member.
• Ability to read and interpret policy/procedure manuals, engineering/technical work-related journals, design specifications, contracts, reports, legal documents, and correspondence. Ability to write clear, enforceable project correspondence, reports, contracts, and agreements.
• Computer skills with ability to use software such as Microsoft Office, computer programming/ computer aided design software.
• Ability to adjust hours to attend public consultation meetings.
• Ability to travel within Waterloo Region.
• Ability to support and demonstrate the Region’s values.
Please apply online, by the closing date Jul 12, 2020 quoting competition number 2020-1518.
We thank all applicants in advance; however, we will be corresponding only with those selected for an interview.
The Region of Waterloo is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We encourage qualified applicants to apply and will accommodate the needs of qualified applicants under the Human Rights Code in all parts of the hiring process.
Alternate formats of this document are available upon request. Please contact the Service First Call Centre at phone number (519) 575-4400, TTY number (519-575-4608) to request an alternate format.
Click here to view the job description pdf file.
The Regional Municipality of Waterloo,
Apply for this job
Human Resources Department
150 Frederick Street, 3rd Floor,
Kitchener, Ontario N2G 4J3