Length: Temporary Full-time (for approximately 18 months)
Department/Division: Transportation & Environmental Services/Water Services
Hours of Work: 35 hours per week
Union: Management/Management Support
Salary/Wage: $73,236.80 – $91,546.00 per annum/$40.24 - $50.30 per hour
Location: Administration Headquarters,150 Frederick Street, Kitchener
Closing Date: August 2, 2020
Description of Duties:
Assists in the planning, design, management of the provision of hydrogeologic services for municipal groundwater supplies; provides technical expertise and advice on the quantity, quality and protection of the Region’s municipal groundwater supply sources; and assists in the design and implementation of source water protection programs.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
• Knowledge of hydrogeology, geology, groundwater assessment numerical modelling and groundwater protection concepts, normally acquired through a Bachelors degree in Hydrogeology, Hydrogeological Engineering, Environmental Engineering, or equivalent discipline, plus related experience.
• Membership, or eligibility for membership in the Association of Professional Geoscientists, or Professional Engineers of Ontario with competence in professional geoscience.
• Knowledge of and ability to comply with policies, procedures, and related legislation (e.g., Environmental Protection Act, Ontario Water Resources Act, Clean Water Act, Lake Erie Source Protection Plan, Drinking Water Guidelines, Planning Act, health and safety, freedom of information).
• Analytical and problem solving skills to plan and develop projects and programs; research and prepare complex technical reports and project specifications.
• Human relations and communication skills to present technical reports and recommendations; conduct public presentations; present and promote objectives related to groundwater resource management and protection; communicate complex technical information; and participate as an effective team member.
• Ability to read and interpret technical hydrogeology reports, letters, memos, technical journals, and literature. Ability to write project specifications and scientific articles.
• Computer skills with ability to use software such as Microsoft Office, ArcGIS, Access, relational hydrogeologic databases and numeric modelling/visualization software.
• Ability to occasionally work evenings and weekends to attend public meetings.
• Ability to travel within and outside Waterloo Region.
• Ability to support and demonstrate the Region’s values.
Please apply online, by the closing date Aug 02, 2020 quoting competition number 2020-1603.
We thank all applicants in advance; however, we will be corresponding only with those selected for an interview.
The Region of Waterloo is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We encourage qualified applicants to apply and will accommodate the needs of qualified applicants under the Human Rights Code in all parts of the hiring process.
Alternate formats of this document are available upon request. Please contact the Service First Call Centre at phone number (519) 575-4400, TTY number (519-575-4608) to request an alternate format.
Click here to view the job description pdf file.
The Regional Municipality of Waterloo,
Apply for this job
Human Resources Department
150 Frederick Street, 3rd Floor,
Kitchener, Ontario N2G 4J3