Department/Division: Planning, Development & Legislative Services/Community Planning
Hours of Work: 35 hours per week
Union: C.U.P.E. Local 1883
Salary: $74,219.60 – $84,338.80 per annum
Location: Administration Headquarters, 150 Frederick Street, Kitchener
Closing Date: July 31, 2019
Description of Duties:
Develops and leads a variety of Regional planning initiatives (e.g., land use and policy planning, source water protection, transportation, brownfield development and environmental stewardship) in a multi-stakeholder environment. Provides professional planning recommendations and expertise on complex studies, development applications and Regional Official Plan amendments to achieve the Region’s long-term vision and objectives. Fulfils Regional and Provincial approval authority responsibilities under the Planning Act.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
• Knowledge of planning theory, research methods, and planning-related legislation, acquired through a 4-year Bachelor’s degree in Planning or related discipline, plus 3 years of directly related experience.
• Membership or eligibility for membership in the Canadian Institute of Planners/Ontario Professional Planners Institute as a Registered Professional Planner.
• Thorough knowledge of the Planning Act and other planning-related legislation, regulations, policy statements, and guidelines in a public sector environment, and the Regional Official Plan. Knowledge of other related legislation (e.g., Clean Water Act, Housing Services Act), area municipal official plan policies, implementation guidelines, zoning by-laws, and procedures.
• Critical thinking, problem solving, and analytical skills, using a balance of technical skill, creativity, and reasonableness. Ability to exercise political sensitivity and judgment consistent with professional standards. Knowledge of statistical analysis techniques. Ability to manage multi-stakeholder projects to successful completion; and plan and prioritize work in response to conflicting demands.
• Communication, human relations, facilitation, negotiation, mediation, and conflict resolution skills to work effectively with stakeholders with competing interests (e.g., developers, engineers, lawyers, area municipalities, members of the public); deal with angry, emotional, and frustrated stakeholders on controversial decisions, and resolve actual and perceived issues; communicate effectively with all levels of staff, councillors, and the public; and participate as an effective team member.
• Computer skills using software such as MS Office, databases, GIS, and data management programs.
• Ability to write concise, audience appropriate correspondence; prepare responses to legal inquiries (e.g., compliance requests); prepare formal reports/letters indicating Provincial and Regional planning policies and technical conditions for approval; convey issues and concepts effectively; make presentations and explain planning issues, information, and procedures in a manner appropriate for various audiences, and in OMB, Council, and Committee settings; read, interpret, synthesize and apply complex and technical policy, and legal information from various sources (e.g., reports, documents, records, file information, maps, plans, drawings).
• Ability to travel to various locations within Waterloo Region.
• Ability to support and project values compatible with the organization.
Please apply online, by the closing date Jul 31, 2019 quoting competition number 2019-1711, or drop off your resume to the Region of Waterloo, Information Desk located on the main floor at 150 Frederick Street, Kitchener, ON N2G 4J3.
We thank all applicants in advance; however, we will be corresponding only with those selected for an interview.
The Region of Waterloo is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We encourage qualified applicants to apply and will accommodate the needs of qualified applicants under the Human Rights Code in all parts of the hiring process.
Alternate formats of this document are available upon request. Please contact the Service First Call Centre at phone number (519) 575-4400, TTY number (519-575-4608) to request an alternate format.
Click here to view the job description pdf file.
The Regional Municipality of Waterloo,
Human Resources Department
150 Frederick Street, 3rd Floor,
Kitchener, Ontario N2G 4J3