Length: Part-time (Up to 45 Positions)
Department/Division: Public Health & Emergency Services/Paramedic Services
Hours of Work: Various shifts (including weekends & statutory holidays)
Union: C.U.P.E. Local 5191
Wage: $36.21 – $38.48 per hour
Location: Paramedic Services Headquarters, 120 Maple Grove Rd., Cambridge
Closing Date: November 13, 2018
Description of Duties:
Functions in the interchangeable roles of primary patient care provider and driver while providing out-of-hospital emergency medical care and transportation for ill and injured persons, to, from, and between treatment facilities, utilizing specially equipped vehicles. Works rotating shifts throughout a 24-hour, seven day a week emergency medical service, including weekends and statutory holidays. Overtime due to early and late calls is often required, and mandatory in emergency situations.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
• Advanced Emergency Medical Care Assistant with Base Hospital certification as a Primary Care Paramedic, including current certification in Symptom Relief and Semi-automatic Defibrillation. Requires current certification in CPR, valid Class “F” Ontario Driver’s Licence, and all other Primary Care Paramedic requirements detailed in the Ambulance Act.
• Good knowledge and competency of Basic Life Support and Advanced Life Support standards, relevant policies and procedures, legislation and regulations as they pertain to day-to-day Emergency Medical Services operations.
• Good map reading abilities and continued efforts towards enhancing local geographic knowledge, combined with professional driving skills in compliance with the Highway Traffic Act.
• Ability to work under stressful situations, assesses the needs of the patient, and exercise sound judgement in an emergency environment.
• High level of communication and human relations skills in order to readily develop rapport with members of the public, including the patient, their family or friends, and/or witnesses, who may be distressed, uncooperative, verbally and/or physically abusive; to gather information needed to assess the situation; to provide a detailed patient report to medical staff; and to participate as an effective team member.
• Ability to adapt to changing technology in the work environment.
• Ability to read and interpret applicable acts and legislation, periodicals, policies and procedures, policy manuals, and internal communications.
• Ability to produce legible Ambulance Call Reports, accident, incident and other reports as required.
• Ability to effectively and professionally communicate with team members in person and utilizing radio/telephone communications, and in person with members of the public. Ability to provide medical information in a non-technical manner to the patient and members of the public.
• Must provide an acceptable Police Records Check in order to ensure suitability for working with vulnerable populations.
• Ability to support and project values compatible with the organization.
Please apply online, by the closing date Nov 13, 2018 quoting competition number 2018-2062, or drop off your resume to the Region of Waterloo, Information Desk located on the main floor at 150 Frederick Street, Kitchener, ON N2G 4J3.
We thank all applicants in advance; however, we will be corresponding only with those selected for an interview.
The Region of Waterloo is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We encourage qualified applicants to apply and will accommodate the needs of qualified applicants under the Human Rights Code in all parts of the hiring process.
Alternate formats of this document are available upon request. Please contact the Service First Call Centre at phone number (519) 575-4400, TTY number (519-575-4608) to request an alternate format.
Click here to view the job description pdf file.
The Regional Municipality of Waterloo,
Human Resources Department
150 Frederick Street, 3rd Floor,
Kitchener, Ontario N2G 4J3