Length: Temporary Full-Time (for approximately 2 years)
Department/Division: Planning, Development & Legislative Services/Community Planning
Hours of Work: 35 hours per week
Union: C.U.P.E. Local 1883
Salary/Wage: $58,877.00 – $66,921.40 per annum/$32.35 - $36.77 per hour
Location: Administration Headquarters, 150 Frederick St., Kitchener
Closing Date: November 21, 2018
Description of Duties:
Supports corporate data and analytics needs by monitoring trends, conducting research, providing analysis, and generating reports of planning-related data.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
• Knowledge of planning theory, empirical research methodologies, quantitative analysis procedures, database design principles, and geographic concepts acquired through a 3-year college diploma or university degree in a related field (e.g., community planning, geography, geographic information systems), plus 2 years of related experience.
• Knowledge of relevant planning processes and legislation (e.g., Planning Act, Development Charges Act, Environmental Assessment Act, Mineral Aggregates Act and Provincial policies related to municipal planning and political processes). Practical knowledge of the Region and its relevant planning conditions (e.g., ROP).
• Skill interpreting statistical data, development plans, air photos, maps, and electronic images for environmental and land use applications.
• Analytical and problem solving skills to respond to unique data requests, maintain data, and respond to emergent system requirements.
• Communication skills to obtain, clarify, and provide information between stakeholders and when responding to public inquiries. Ability to participate as an effective team member.
• Ability to interpret statistical, policy and procedure manuals, and read professional journals, technical manuals, planning reports and studies to keep knowledge current.
• Ability to draft technical and standard planning reports, manuals, correspondence, meeting agendas and minutes, and prepare graphs, charts, statistical analyses and maps to convey complex information; and write scripts using proper syntax (e.g., SQL scripts). Ability to explain planning policies and data in plain language; provide clear, accurate and tactful verbal responses to inquiries and data requests; and make occasional presentations.
• Computer skills using MS Access, MS Office, and GIS software (e.g., ArcGIS Suite). Familiarity with interactive data visualization software (e.g., tableau), statistics software, and scripting languages (e.g., SQL).
• Ability to travel to various locations within Waterloo Region.
• Ability to support and project values compatible with the organization.
Please apply online, by the closing date Nov 21, 2018 quoting competition number 2018-2074, or drop off your resume to the Region of Waterloo, Information Desk located on the main floor at 150 Frederick Street, Kitchener, ON N2G 4J3.
We thank all applicants in advance; however, we will be corresponding only with those selected for an interview.
The Region of Waterloo is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We encourage qualified applicants to apply and will accommodate the needs of qualified applicants under the Human Rights Code in all parts of the hiring process.
Alternate formats of this document are available upon request. Please contact the Service First Call Centre at phone number (519) 575-4400, TTY number (519-575-4608) to request an alternate format.
Click here to view the job description pdf file.
The Regional Municipality of Waterloo,
Human Resources Department
150 Frederick Street, 3rd Floor,
Kitchener, Ontario N2G 4J3