Date of Posting: August 12, 2019
Title: Museum Exhibits Researcher
Posting #: 2019-1764
Position #: R01447
Length: Temporary Full-time (for approximately 6 months)
Department/Division: Planning, Development & Legislative Services/Cultural Services
Hours of Work: 35 hours per week
Union: C.U.P.E. Local 1883
Salary/Wage: $57,057.00 - $64,846.60 per annum/$31.35 – $35.63 per hour
Location: Waterloo Region Museum, 10 Huron Rd., Kitchener
Closing Date: August 18, 2019
Description of Duties:
Conducts historical, contemporary, and material culture research; writes interpretive exhibit labels for static, interactive, and living history exhibits at the Waterloo Region Museum & Historic Sites (WRMHS).
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
• Knowledge of historical research methods including knowledge of social history, Canadian history, local history, and material culture history; three-dimensional interpretive and interactive exhibit design and label writing for varied audiences; Canadian copyright law and other applicable laws as they apply to public exhibition; artifact handling, acquired through a post-graduate university degree/post-graduate college diploma in Museum Studies or related field, plus 2 years of related experience.
• Human relations and communications skills to communicate and exchange information with interviewees and peers; and participate as an effective team member.
• Ability to work on multiple tasks simultaneously, balancing task priority and time demands.
• Computers skills using software such as MS Office and image scanning programs.
• Ability to read collection and archival records, loan agreements, ownership documents, library resources, scholarly journals, and correspondence.
• Ability to write and edit research documents, exhibit labels and summaries, synthesizing multiple resources into text that can be understood by a varied audience.
• Presents research talks to staff and the public, requiring a practiced and organized speaking manner.
• Ability to travel to various locations within and occasionally outside Waterloo Region.
• Ability to support and project values compatible with the organization.
As this position is partially funded by Young Canada Works, candidates must be eligible for the internship. Please refer to https://young-canada-works.canada.ca/Opportunity/ProjectDetails?projectId=8606.
Please apply online, by the closing date Aug 18, 2019 quoting competition number 2019-1764, or drop off your resume to the Region of Waterloo, Information Desk located on the main floor at 150 Frederick Street, Kitchener, ON N2G 4J3.
We thank all applicants in advance; however, we will be corresponding only with those selected for an interview.
The Region of Waterloo is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We encourage qualified applicants to apply and will accommodate the needs of qualified applicants under the Human Rights Code in all parts of the hiring process.
Alternate formats of this document are available upon request. Please contact the Service First Call Centre at phone number (519) 575-4400, TTY number (519-575-4608) to request an alternate format.
Click here to view the job description pdf file.
The Regional Municipality of Waterloo,
Human Resources Department
150 Frederick Street, 3rd Floor,
Kitchener, Ontario N2G 4J3