Department/Division: Transportation & Environmental Services/Rapid Transit
Hours of Work: 35 hours per week
Union: Management/Management Support
Salary: $104,941.20 – $131,167.40 per annum (under review)
Location: 50 Queen St. N., Kitchener
Closing Date: January 27, 2019
Description of Duties: Manages the light rail rapid transit operations and maintenance contract, with a focus on contract management, key performance indicators, schedules, estimates, cost control, documentation control, and quality assurance/quality control. Manages contract operating policies and procedures, and ensures optimum efficiency and effectiveness to achieve the Region’s goals and objectives. Provides technical expertise related to light rail transit operations, vehicles, and infrastructure maintenance practices.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
• Knowledge of light rail transit operations, maintenance (including systems, repairs, and replacement strategies), vehicles and their systems (including wayside systems), engineering and technical components, and operational, administrative, and financial planning, normally acquired through a degree or diploma in engineering or related field, plus progressively responsible related experience.
• Knowledge of and ability to comply with policies, procedures, collective agreements, and related legislation (e.g., health and safety, labour relations, employment standards, Highway Traffic Act, Transport Canada). Ability to ensure compliance with the Project Agreements.
• Analytical, organizational, problem solving, and continuous improvement skills to research and identify trends; evaluate, develop, and implement policies, procedures, and operational plans; and resolve issues.
• Leadership, human relations, and negotiation skills to advance priorities and balance objectives in a political environment; manage, develop, motivate, train, and support staff; ensure the Operator’s compliance with the Project Agreements; communicate effectively with management, staff, and the public; establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, other government agencies, and the public; present to the public, politicians, senior staff, and union executives; and participate as an effective team member.
• Computer skills with ability to use software such as Microsoft Office.
• Ability to read and interpret industry/technical publications, reports, manuals, legislation, engineering and systems documentation, and contracts. Ability to write policies, procedures, reports, budgets, correspondence, and other documents for senior management, Council, Committee, senior government agencies, and community groups and organizations.
• Ability to travel within and outside Waterloo Region.
• Ability to adjust schedule to work evening and weekend hours in special circumstances, as required.
• Ability to support and demonstrate the Region’s values.
Please apply online, by the closing date Jan 27, 2019 quoting competition number 2018-2244, or drop off your resume to the Region of Waterloo, Information Desk located on the main floor at 150 Frederick Street, Kitchener, ON N2G 4J3.
We thank all applicants in advance; however, we will be corresponding only with those selected for an interview.
The Region of Waterloo is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We encourage qualified applicants to apply and will accommodate the needs of qualified applicants under the Human Rights Code in all parts of the hiring process.
Alternate formats of this document are available upon request. Please contact the Service First Call Centre at phone number (519) 575-4400, TTY number (519-575-4608) to request an alternate format.
Click here to view the job description pdf file.
The Regional Municipality of Waterloo,
Human Resources Department
150 Frederick Street, 3rd Floor,
Kitchener, Ontario N2G 4J3