Length: Full Time
Department/Division: Corporate Services/Financial Services & Development Financing
Hours of Work: 35 hours per week
Union: Management/Management Support
Salary: $98,443.80 - $123,050.20 per annum
Location: Administration Headquarters, 150 Frederick St., Kitchener
Closing Date: August 11, 2020
Description of Duties:
Manages accounting and budgeting functions for the Public Health & Emergency Services (PHE) and Community Services (CSD) Departments, including Waterloo Region Crime Prevention Council, Waterloo Immigration Partnership, and Region of Waterloo Community Housing Inc. (ROWCHI). Manages the production and issuance of social assistance Ontario Works (OW) payments.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
• Knowledge of management financial accounting, and budgeting principles/techniques (e.g., cost benefit analysis, present value, management control systems), OW policy directives regarding benefit eligibility, payments, and administration; and income support operations/ policies/procedures as it relates to payment authorization and production, normally acquired through a Bachelor’s degree in Commerce, Economics, Mathematics, Business Administration, or related discipline, plus progressively responsible related experience in public sector management. Must have a professional accounting designation (CPA).
• Knowledge of and ability to comply with policies, procedures, generally accepted accounting principles, related legislation/requirements (e.g., financial management, purchasing, municipal, development charges, public sector accounting board, privacy, provincial and federal agreements and reporting), and collective agreements.
• Analytical, continuous improvement, and problem solving skills to plan/develop objectives; determine, organize, and coordinate program goals/components (administrative, technical, operational, financial); classify work and select staff to achieve same; analyze budgets and evaluate financial alternatives; and develop solutions/new approaches to studies/projects.
• Communication, leadership, and human relations skills to manage, develop, motivate, train, and support staff; resolve complaints/issues from OW clients/vendors regarding payment issues; work with agencies on OW fraud detection/prevention; communicate with staff to resolve client issues; present/explain complex/politically sensitive issues to Council, senior management, staff, agencies, the public, and media; represent the Region on committees; present reports to staff, Council, committees, government Ministries, professional groups, and the public; and participate as an effective team member.
• Ability to write correspondence, project plans, reports, policy recommendations, budget submissions, funding requests and claims, and procedures. Ability to read and interpret policies and procedures, contracts, correspondence, financial information, reports, subsidy/grant claim applications, case histories, legal/funding agreements, and professional journals.
• Computer skills with ability to use software such as Microsoft Office, financial information systems, and provincial social assistance software. Ability to develop financial models.
• Must provide an acceptable Police Information Check (Level 2) for bondability.
• Ability to travel within (and occasionally outside) Waterloo Region.
• Ability to support and demonstrate the Region’s values.
Please apply online, by the closing date Aug 11, 2020 quoting competition number 2020-1701.
We thank all applicants in advance; however, we will be corresponding only with those selected for an interview.
The Region of Waterloo is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We encourage qualified applicants to apply and will accommodate the needs of qualified applicants under the Human Rights Code in all parts of the hiring process.
Alternate formats of this document are available upon request. Please contact the Service First Call Centre at phone number (519) 575-4400, TTY number (519-575-4608) to request an alternate format.
Click here to view the job description pdf file.
The Regional Municipality of Waterloo,
Human Resources Department
150 Frederick Street, 3rd Floor,
Kitchener, Ontario N2G 4J3