Length: Full Time
Department/Division: Corporate Services/Facilities & Fleet Management
Hours of Work: 40 hours per week
Union: CUPE Local 1656
Salary/Wage: $67,059.20 - $70,595.20 per annum/$32.24 - $33.94 per hour
Location: Operations Centre – 100 Maple Grove Road, Cambridge
Closing Date: December 16, 2019
Description of Duties:
Participates in all facets of corrective, demand, environmental, and preventive building maintenance and rejuvenation and restoration work primarily as it relates to electrical systems, devices, and appliances in administrative and special purpose buildings.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
• Must have Grade 12 education, Journeyperson status as a Construction & Maintenance Electrician (309A), and 5 years of institutional, commercial, and/or residential experience in building maintenance and construction with Journeyperson status upon hire. Must possess certification as a Master Electrician or obtain certification within 6 months of hire.
Must have 2-year community college diploma as an Electrical Technician-Industrial or equivalent program, Journeyperson status as a Construction & Maintenance Electrician (309A), and 3 years of experience as a Journeyperson upon hire. Must possess certification as a Master Electrician or obtain certification within 6 months of hire.
• Knowledge of Regional policies and procedures; related by-laws; ISO 14001; building, fire, and electrical codes; and Federal and Provincial legislation including the Occupational Health and Safety Act. Valid CPR Certification and Emergency First Aid training.
• Ability to keep knowledge and skills up-to-date as it relates to new buildings, materials, systems, and technologies (e.g., LEED standards, automation and access control systems, code and legislation).
• Communication and human relations skills in order to deal with clients and other Regional employees, the public, suppliers, sub-trades, and contractors when explaining job requirements, possible delays, or conflicts on the job; use courtesy and tact when exchanging information with others; and participate as an effective team member.
• Ability to work independently and co-operatively with limited direction.
• Ability to supply own full complement of good quality and safe hand tools.
• Computer skills with ability to use MS Word, Excel, email, data loggers, infrared cameras, and systems software.
• Valid class G driver’s licence and satisfactory driving record are required to operate Regional vehicles.
• Must provide an acceptable vulnerable sector Police Records Check to ensure suitability to work in environments with vulnerable populations (Waterloo Region Housing units). Must provide an acceptable police record check to satisfy Transport Canada requirements for accessing the airside area of Region of Waterloo International Airport. Must provide a Security Background Check to meet Waterloo Regional Police Service security requirements for working in police facilities.
• Ability to complete work orders, timesheets, and requisition forms. Ability to read and interpret schematics and electrical, mechanical, and architectural plans, drawings, and blueprints; read and apply technical manuals, reports, instructions, code changes, and Material Safety Data Sheets. Ability to explain job requirements, delays, and resolve conflicts with a variety of audiences, exchange information and receive technical guidance.
• Ability to support and project values compatible with the organization.
Please apply online, by the closing date Dec 16, 2019 quoting competition number 2019-2195, or drop off your resume to the Region of Waterloo, Information Desk located on the main floor at 150 Frederick Street, Kitchener, ON N2G 4J3.
We thank all applicants in advance; however, we will be corresponding only with those selected for an interview.
The Region of Waterloo is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We encourage qualified applicants to apply and will accommodate the needs of qualified applicants under the Human Rights Code in all parts of the hiring process.
Alternate formats of this document are available upon request. Please contact the Service First Call Centre at phone number (519) 575-4400, TTY number (519-575-4608) to request an alternate format.
Click here to view the job description pdf file.
The Regional Municipality of Waterloo,
Human Resources Department
150 Frederick Street, 3rd Floor,
Kitchener, Ontario N2G 4J3