Length: Temporary Full-time (Up to Approximately 12 Months)
Department/Division: Planning, Development & Legislative Services / Legal Services
Hours of Work: 35 hours per week
Union: Management/Management Support
Salary/Wage: $55,601.00 - $69,505.80 per annum/$30.55 - $38.19 per hour
Location: Administration Headquarters, 150 Frederick St., Kitchener
Closing Date: December 9, 2019
Description of Duties:
Provides clerical and administrative support to the Division, specifically in the area of real estate and related transactions and services, title searching, and expropriations.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Knowledge of procedures for title searches, expropriations, real estate transactions, and legal documentation, including deeds and releases, normally acquired through a diploma/certificate in a related field (e.g., Legal Secretary Certificate), plus related experience in a legal environment, specializing in real estate.
• Knowledge of and ability to comply with policies, procedures, and related legislation (e.g., Municipal Act, Expropriations Act, Construction Lien Act, Planning Act).
• Ability to exhibit discretion and confidentiality regarding confidential information.
• Organizational, attention to detail, problem solving, and continuous improvement skills to complete assignments independently and within deadlines; maintain file systems and records; and coordinate materials/information/responses (liaising with Solicitor on matters requiring input/review).
• Communication skills to explain legal documentation to staff and the public; respond to inquiries from staff, lawyers, consultants, and the public related to legal documents, transactions, policies, and procedures; and participate as an effective team member.
• Ability to read and interpret correspondence and legal documents. Ability to draft and assist in the preparation of legal documents (e.g., transfers/deeds, easements, notices, development agreements, encroachment agreements, land transfer tax affidavits), correspondence, and instructions using special/precise language.
• Computer skills using software such as Microsoft Office, land registry system (Teraview), Municipal Connect, GIS, and databases (e.g., Regional Development Charges database).
• Ability to travel within Waterloo Region.
• Ability to support and demonstrate the Region’s values.
Please apply online, by the closing date Dec 09, 2019 quoting competition number 2019-2194, or drop off your resume to the Region of Waterloo, Information Desk located on the main floor at 150 Frederick Street, Kitchener, ON N2G 4J3.
We thank all applicants in advance; however, we will be corresponding only with those selected for an interview.
The Region of Waterloo is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We encourage qualified applicants to apply and will accommodate the needs of qualified applicants under the Human Rights Code in all parts of the hiring process.
Alternate formats of this document are available upon request. Please contact the Service First Call Centre at phone number (519) 575-4400, TTY number (519-575-4608) to request an alternate format.
Click here to view the job description pdf file.
The Regional Municipality of Waterloo,
Human Resources Department
150 Frederick Street, 3rd Floor,
Kitchener, Ontario N2G 4J3