Department/Division: Transportation & Environmental Services/Waste Management
Hours of Work: 40 hours per week;
Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri – 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Sat 7:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Union: C.U.P.E Local 1656
Wage: $28.32 per hour
Location: Waste Management South Workshop, 1516 Glasgow St. RR# 4, Kitchener
Closing Date: September 29, 2019
Description of Duties:
Loads and unloads waste, recycling, and waste diversion materials at waste management sites; hauls, levels, compacts, and covers landfill tipping face daily; operates heavy equipment such as bulldozers, compactors, hydraulic excavator, articulating dump trucks, roll-off trucks, water trucks, and front end loaders; and maintains areas of the site, heavy equipment, and tools as required. Hours of work are determined by shift selection, which could include weekends, evenings, and statutory holidays.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
• Knowledge of reading, writing, and math skills and proficiency in the safe operation of heavy equipment, with a minimum of loader, bulldozer, compactor, roll-off truck and excavator, acquired through a Grade 12 education plus 3 years of experience in a similar environment, or equivalent OR a Grade 10 education plus 3 years of directly related experience.
• Knowledge of job-related Regional and divisional policies, procedures, and standard operating procedures, ISO 14001, and Provincial and Federal legislation, including the Occupational Health and Safety Act, Environmental Protection Act, and Highway Traffic Act.
• Knowledge of GPS system to build landfill cells, slopes to achieve designated grades, heights, and compaction.
• Communication skills in order to exchange or provide information to contractors, customers, supervisors, and co-workers; and participate as an effective team member.
• Awareness and mechanical aptitude to identify maintenance requirements, perform regular equipment maintenance checks, use air compressor, power or hand tools, and comply with safety policy and procedures.
• A valid Class DZ drivers licence and satisfactory driving record are required to operate Regional equipment.
• Ability to read and understand owners manuals, GPS system for surveying, safety policies and manuals, maintenance requirements, instructions, labels, Material Safety Data Sheets, memos, policy material.
• Ability to write notes and recommendations for procedural or equipment changes and complete daily check lists.
• Ability to communicate effectively with supervisor, co-workers using two-way radio, and customers.
• Ability to support and project values compatible with the organization.
Please apply online, by the closing date Sep 29, 2019 quoting competition number 2019-1788, or drop off your resume to the Region of Waterloo, Information Desk located on the main floor at 150 Frederick Street, Kitchener, ON N2G 4J3.
We thank all applicants in advance; however, we will be corresponding only with those selected for an interview.
The Region of Waterloo is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We encourage qualified applicants to apply and will accommodate the needs of qualified applicants under the Human Rights Code in all parts of the hiring process.
Alternate formats of this document are available upon request. Please contact the Service First Call Centre at phone number (519) 575-4400, TTY number (519-575-4608) to request an alternate format.
Click here to view the job description pdf file.
The Regional Municipality of Waterloo,
Human Resources Department
150 Frederick Street, 3rd Floor,
Kitchener, Ontario N2G 4J3