Length: Full-time (2 Positions)
Department/Division: Corporate Services/Facilities & Fleet Management
Hours of Work: 40 hours per week, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. (Monday – Friday)
Union: C.U.P.E. Local 1656
Wage: $32.02 per hour
Location: Operations Centre, 100 Maple Grove Rd, Cambridge
Closing Date: January 13, 2019
Description of Duties:
Performs preventive maintenance, repair service, and emergency repairs to Regional vehicles/trucks and equipment, including safety inspections, analysis, and diagnosis of vehicle and equipment components and systems, as well as welding and fabrication of specialty items and equipment. Participates in a rotational winter standby on call from approximately November 15 to April 15 each year. Participates in call in, on a departmental seniority basis, from approximately April 15 to November 15 each year.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
• Knowledge of the repair, maintenance and operation of heavy vehicles/trucks and equipment, related hydraulic systems, salters, electronic control devices, snow removal equipment, agricultural and construction equipment, fuel systems, brake systems, tires, suspension, alignment, emissions, and air conditioning systems, acquired through a Grade 12 education; Journeyperson status as a Truck and Coach Technician (310T); and 4 years experience working on heavy vehicles/trucks and equipment as a Truck and Coach Technician with Journeyperson status.
• Knowledge of and ability to comply with corporate policies, procedures, trade standards, and related legislation and guidelines (e.g., Occupational Health and Safety Act, Ministry of Transportation).
• Ability to road test heavy vehicles/trucks and equipment; perform roadside repairs; lift equipment and parts weighing between 25 and 65 kgs, and push and/or pull objects weighing a maximum of 200 kgs in order to perform repairs and service; and to operate overhead crane in service bay.
• Analytical and problem solving skills to assist in the resolution of complex mechanical problems.
• Communication skills to provide maintenance instructions to operators; obtain information from sources to perform diagnoses; and participate as an effective team member.
• Ability to scan time into the Fleet Management System, create work orders, complete time sheets, and complete repair summaries and inspection documentation.
• Computer skills with ability to create/access data in the Fleet Management System; operate automotive, off-road, and heavy truck computer diagnostic equipment.
• Ability to supply own full complement of good quality and safe mechanics’ hand tools.
• Must have a valid G driver’s license, satisfactory driving record, and ability to attain a DZ driver’s license within probationary period – OR – a valid DZ driver’s license and satisfactory driving record upon hire.
• Ability to support and demonstrate the Region’s values.
Please apply online, by the closing date Jan 13, 2019 quoting competition number 2018-2056, or drop off your resume to the Region of Waterloo, Information Desk located on the main floor at 150 Frederick Street, Kitchener, ON N2G 4J3.
We thank all applicants in advance; however, we will be corresponding only with those selected for an interview.
The Region of Waterloo is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We encourage qualified applicants to apply and will accommodate the needs of qualified applicants under the Human Rights Code in all parts of the hiring process.
Alternate formats of this document are available upon request. Please contact the Service First Call Centre at phone number (519) 575-4400, TTY number (519-575-4608) to request an alternate format.
Click here to view the job description pdf file.
The Regional Municipality of Waterloo,
Human Resources Department
150 Frederick Street, 3rd Floor,
Kitchener, Ontario N2G 4J3