Length: Full-Time (Up to 3 Positions Available)
Department/Division: Transportation & Environmental Services/Transportation
Hours of Work: 40 hours per week, 7:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. (Mon – Fri)
Union: CUPE Local 1656
Wage: $30.24 per hour
Location: Operations Centre, 100 Maple Grove Rd., Cambridge
Closing Date: August 7, 2020
Description of Duties:
Operates paint equipment to install and replace pavement lines and markings. Performs snow plowing, ice control duties, and general road maintenance duties on roads, bridges and roadsides.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
• Knowledge of paint types, pavement marking tools and equipment (e.g., airless and air atomized equipment, pressure vessels, compressed air systems with diesel engines, spray paint equipment, paint heating systems, electronic skip controls), and roads maintenance equipment (e.g., snow plow, wheel loader), acquired through a grade 12 education plus 2 years of related experience.
• Knowledge of and ability to comply with policies, procedures, standards; field and traffic manuals; CVOR requirements; and related by-laws and legislation (e.g., Highway Traffic Act, Ontario Traffic Manual, Book 7 traffic control plans, health and safety, transportation of dangerous goods, minimum maintenance standards). Ability to participate in related on-the-job training (e.g., propane handling, crane, Snowfighter, First Aid &CPR, spills management, defensive driving).
• Communication skills to understand instructions; interact professionally with others; provide general information to the public; use proper terminology with others (e.g., manufacturers, crews, engineering technicians, lead hand); give directions and suggestions related to field fit and emergency situations; and participate as an effective team member.
• Ability to read, understand, and apply plans, blueprints, pre-markings, manuals, notices, documentation, and traffic protection plans. Ability to convert imperial measurements to metric.
• Ability to complete CVOR requirements (e.g., checklists, hours log, reports), purchase requisitions, work orders, locate books, basic written communications, and technical recommendations (e.g., products, work methods).
• Computer skills with ability to use distance measuring devices, on-board skip meter, and software such as a work management system, Microsoft Office (Outlook), weather monitoring systems, hours of service software, and time and attendance systems.
• Ability to function effectively and safely in a variety of environmental conditions.
• Must have a valid Class D drivers licence with Z airbrake endorsement, acceptable drivers abstract, and valid transportation of dangerous goods certification to operate corporate equipment.
• Ability to work variable shifts, including evenings and nights, as assigned. Ability to work up to 14 hours per day as required.
• Ability to support and demonstrate the Region’s values.
Please apply online, by the closing date Aug 07, 2020 quoting competition number 2020-1697.
We thank all applicants in advance; however, we will be corresponding only with those selected for an interview.
The Region of Waterloo is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We encourage qualified applicants to apply and will accommodate the needs of qualified applicants under the Human Rights Code in all parts of the hiring process.
Alternate formats of this document are available upon request. Please contact the Service First Call Centre at phone number (519) 575-4400, TTY number (519-575-4608) to request an alternate format.
Click here to view the job description pdf file.
The Regional Municipality of Waterloo,
Apply for this job
Human Resources Department
150 Frederick Street, 3rd Floor,
Kitchener, Ontario N2G 4J3