Length: Temporary Full-time (for approximately 12 months)
Department/Division: Human Resources and Citizen Service/Employee Relations
Hours of Work: 35 hours per week
Union: Management/Management Support
Salary/Wage: $73,236.80 - $91,546.00 per annum/$40.24 - $50.30 per hour
Location: Administration Headquarters, 150 Frederick St., Kitchener
Closing Date: November 17, 2020
Description of Duties:
Administers disability claims management and return to work coordination, including sick leave, short term disability (STD), long term disability (LTD), WSIB, and medical accommodations.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
• Knowledge of current medical treatment and rehabilitative/ therapeutic techniques/ terminology, normally acquired through an undergraduate degree in health sciences (e.g., occupational therapy, human kinetics, kinesiology, physiotherapy, designation as a Registered Nurse), plus directly related vocational rehabilitation counselling experience in a unionized environment.
• Knowledge of and ability to comply with policies, procedures, collective agreements, and related legislation (e.g., WSIB, human rights, health and safety, employment standards, privacy).
• Analytical, organizational, continuous improvement and problem solving skills to analyze situations, determine issues, and resolve matters; develop and coordinate return to work plans; and plan and prioritize work within established program goals.
• Human relations, communication, and negotiation skills to interview, counsel, and advise employees/ management; negotiate return to work plans; advise client departments and unions to adhere to policy, legislation, and collective agreements; respond to inquiries from employees and stakeholders; facilitate return to work/ accommodation meetings; communicate with doctors regarding medical information; and participate as an effective team member.
• Computer skills with ability to use software such as Microsoft Office, a human resources information system (e.g., Banner), and claims management software.
• Ability to read and interpret medical documentation from health care providers; journals/ publications; and policies, procedures, and legislation regarding WSIB, STD, LTD, medical/ vocational rehabilitation, workplace health and safety, and employee wellness to provide current information to management and employees.
• Ability to write return to work plans agreements, correspondence, reports, and proposals; complete and maintain employee case data; and write WSIB objections based on case facts/ evidence.
• Ability to travel within Waterloo Region.
• Ability to support and demonstrate the Region’s values.
Please apply online, by the closing date Nov 17, 2020 quoting competition number 2020-2162.
We thank all applicants in advance; however, we will be corresponding only with those selected for an interview.
The Region of Waterloo is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We encourage qualified applicants to apply and will accommodate the needs of qualified applicants under the Human Rights Code in all parts of the hiring process.
Alternate formats of this document are available upon request. Please contact the Service First Call Centre at phone number (519) 575-4400, TTY number (519-575-4608) to request an alternate format.
Click here to view the job description pdf file.
The Regional Municipality of Waterloo,
Human Resources Department
150 Frederick Street, 3rd Floor,
Kitchener, Ontario N2G 4J3