Length: Temporary Part-Time (for up to approximately 12 months)
Department/Division: Community Services/Senior’s Services
Hours of Work: 16.5 Hours Bi-Weekly
3:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m., 4:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.
Food Services Pattern (Week 1) Sun;
(Week 2) Tue, Thu, Fri, Sat.
Union: Unifor Local 1106
Wage: $20.32 – $21.55 per hour
Location: Sunnyside Home, 247 Franklin St. N., Kitchener
Closing Date: June 30, 2019
Sunnyside Home is a long-term care home owned by the Region of Waterloo in the Stanley Park area of Kitchener. Our 263 residents are part of a vibrant community in a park-like setting on a campus of services for older adults.
We offer a warm, friendly atmosphere with modern amenities and quality care. Making sure that each person can live their best life is important to us.
Description of Duties:
Portions food, assists Cooks, serves customers, stocks supply carts, counts supplies, assists with large catering functions, sets/clears tables and cleans/sanitize dishes, equipment, and facilities. Ability to work shifts, weekend hours, and statutory holidays, as scheduled.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
• Knowledge of reading, writing and basic arithmetic and the ability to follow written and oral instruction in English normally acquired through a grade 12 secondary school education, Food Safety Training, plus a Food Service Worker Certificate or enrollment in a Food Services Worker Certification program, and 1 year of food service experience in a long term care facility.
• Knowledge of Regional and Divisional policies, procedures, and guidelines.
• A tuberculosis (TB) test and annual influenza immunization are required.
• Communication and interpersonal skills in order to respond pleasantly and professionally to demands; communicate effectively with staff, residents, and families; interact appropriately with and have a basic understanding of the geriatric population; and participate as an effective team member.
• Ability to read menu modifications (instructions for special diets), policies and procedures manuals, and work assignment sheets. Ability to write notes on residents’ eating habits, audit forms, tuck shop orders, requisitions, and temperature survey sheets.
• Must provide an acceptable Police Vulnerable Sector Check (level 3).
• Ability to support and project the Region’s values.
Please apply online, by the closing date Aug 21, 2019 quoting competition number 2019-1635, or drop off your resume to the Region of Waterloo, Information Desk located on the main floor at 150 Frederick Street, Kitchener, ON N2G 4J3.
We thank all applicants in advance; however, we will be corresponding only with those selected for an interview.
The Region of Waterloo is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We encourage qualified applicants to apply and will accommodate the needs of qualified applicants under the Human Rights Code in all parts of the hiring process.
Alternate formats of this document are available upon request. Please contact the Service First Call Centre at phone number (519) 575-4400, TTY number (519-575-4608) to request an alternate format.
Click here to view the job description pdf file.
The Regional Municipality of Waterloo,
Human Resources Department
150 Frederick Street, 3rd Floor,
Kitchener, Ontario N2G 4J3