Department/Division: Community Services/Seniors’ Services
Hours of Work: Various, Food Services
Union: Unifor Local 1106
Wage: $24.21 - $25.43 per hour
Location: Sunnyside Home, 247 Franklin St., N., Kitchener
Closing Date: August 25, 2019
Description of Duties:
Prepares nutritious meals and snacks for residents and staff of Sunnyside Home and others to meet Canada’s Food Guide requirements, Regional policies and procedures, and in accordance with long term health care standards and regulations as directed by the Manager, Food Services.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities Required:
• Knowledge of safety and sanitation in food handling and equipment use, normally acquired through the attainment of vocational/technical training, such as two year Community College Diploma in Food Preparation or equivalent, plus Cook (Red Seal) Certification and Safe Food Handling Course, with two years experience in large quantity food preparation in a health care or long term care setting.
• Understanding of therapeutic diets.
• Communication and human relations skills in order to respond pleasantly and professionally to demands; to communicate effectively with staff, residents, and families; to interact appropriately with and have a basic understanding of the geriatric population; and to participate as an effective team member.
• Ability to work independently.
• Ability to follow written and oral instructions in English.
• Ability to make accurate mental calculations for portion sizes and number of dishes required.
• Must provide an acceptable Police Records Check in order to ensure suitability for working with vulnerable populations.
• Ability to read menus and menu modifications, recipes, temperature charts, policy and procedure manuals in order to properly prepare food items.
• Ability to complete reports and audits, supply requisitions, and food labels.
• Ability to support and project values compatible with the organization.
Please apply online, by the closing date Aug 25, 2019 quoting competition number 2019-1366, or drop off your resume to the Region of Waterloo, Information Desk located on the main floor at 150 Frederick Street, Kitchener, ON N2G 4J3.
We thank all applicants in advance; however, we will be corresponding only with those selected for an interview.
The Region of Waterloo is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We encourage qualified applicants to apply and will accommodate the needs of qualified applicants under the Human Rights Code in all parts of the hiring process.
Alternate formats of this document are available upon request. Please contact the Service First Call Centre at phone number (519) 575-4400, TTY number (519-575-4608) to request an alternate format.
Click here to view the job description pdf file.
The Regional Municipality of Waterloo,
Human Resources Department
150 Frederick Street, 3rd Floor,
Kitchener, Ontario N2G 4J3