Length: Casual (Up to 10 Positions)
Department/Division: Community Services/Children’s Services
Hours of Work: Up to 24 hours per week, various shifts as required
Union: Not Applicable
Salary/Wage: $32.93 - $37.41 per hour
Location: Any of 5 Region of Waterloo Child Care Centres
Closing Date: November 12, 2019
Description of Duties:
Provides early childhood education programs that meet the developmental needs of children enrolled in Region-operated children’s centres, in compliance with legislation, corporate policies and procedures, and HighScope curriculum standards and practices.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
• Knowledge of early childhood education methods, principles, and practices; HighScope curriculum approach; inclusive practice; child development, guidance, health and nutrition; caring for children with special needs; and observation and communication techniques, acquired through a post-secondary diploma/ degree in Early Childhood Education, plus 2 years of related experience working with children 5 and under.
• Knowledge of and ability to comply with corporate policies and procedures, and related legislation, with ability to meet and maintain requirements detailed in the Child Care & Early Years Act.
• Must be a Registered Early Childhood Educator in good standing with the College of Early Childhood Educators of Ontario.
• Must provide proof and maintain a record of immunizations including TB test, as recommended by the local Medical Officer of Health.
• Must complete and maintain valid certification in standard first aid, including infant and child CPR.
• Must provide a Vulnerable Sector Police Records Check, prepared no earlier than 6 months before hire, and every 5 years thereafter, and must complete an annual offense declaration.
• Must be eligible for HighScope certification with the HighScope Educational Research Foundation within 12 months of start of employment.
• Analytical and observational skills to monitor classrooms and individual children simultaneously to provide developmental support; document behaviour and developmental observations and communication reports for parents/ guardians; and create program plans and activities.
• Communication and human relations skills to interact with children daily and adapt style to meet individual children’s needs; share information and solicit feedback/ input from parents/ guardians, team members, and other professionals; respond to questions from parents; discuss occurrences with management and team members; and participate as an effective team member.
• Ability to read professional journals/ manuals and participate in training workshops to keep knowledge current.
• Computer skills with ability to use software such as Microsoft Office to document daily observations and create reports for parents/ guardians.
• Ability to work occasionally after-hours for staff meetings, parent/ teacher meetings, training and other activities.
• Ability to support and demonstrate the Region’s values.
Please apply online, by the closing date Nov 12, 2019 quoting competition number 2019-2101, or drop off your resume to the Region of Waterloo, Information Desk located on the main floor at 150 Frederick Street, Kitchener, ON N2G 4J3.
We thank all applicants in advance; however, we will be corresponding only with those selected for an interview.
The Region of Waterloo is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We encourage qualified applicants to apply and will accommodate the needs of qualified applicants under the Human Rights Code in all parts of the hiring process.
Alternate formats of this document are available upon request. Please contact the Service First Call Centre at phone number (519) 575-4400, TTY number (519-575-4608) to request an alternate format.
Click here to view the job description pdf file.
The Regional Municipality of Waterloo,
Human Resources Department
150 Frederick Street, 3rd Floor,
Kitchener, Ontario N2G 4J3