The Regional Municipality of Waterloo operates five licensed Child Care Centres. We will be accepting resumes for casual part-time (supply) Child Care Teachers. We are anticipating interviewing twice a year and will hold resumes on file for six months.
This position does not guarantee hours of work. You will be required to submit your availability on a regular basis.
Description of Duties:
Provides early childhood education programs that meet the developmental needs of children enrolled in the Region’s corporately-operated Children’s Centres; ensures compliance with the Child Care & Early Years Act (CCEYA), Child & Family Services Act (C&FSA), and Regional policy & procedures; and maintains the standards and practices of the HighScope Curriculum Approach to Early Childhood Education.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
• Knowledge of teaching methods, principles and practices related to Early Childhood Education, acquired through completion of a post-secondary diploma/degree in Early Childhood Education, plus 2 years of related experience working with children under 5 years of age.
• Must meet and maintain requirements detailed in the Child Care & Early Years Act; must be a Registered Early Childhood Educator in good standing with the College of Early Childhood Educators of Ontario; provide proof of and maintain a record of immunizations including TB test, as recommended by the local Medical Officer of Health; complete and maintain valid certification in standard first aid, including infant and child CPR; and provide a vulnerable sector Police Records Check, prepared no earlier than six months before hire, and every five years thereafter; must complete an annual "Offense Declaration."
• Must be eligible for HighScope certification with the HighScope Educational Research Foundation within 12 months of start of employment.
• Knowledge and experience with inclusive practice, child development, child guidance, child health and nutrition, and special needs children. Knowledge and experience with the HighScope Curriculum Approach to Early Childhood
Education. Knowledge of the Child Care & Early Years Act and related Regional policy.
• Human relations skills, including knowledge of communication and observational techniques.
• Ability to read professional journals/manuals and participate in job training workshops to maintain current knowledge in the field.
• Ability to document observations of children’s behaviour and development each day and create written daily program plans based on observations and knowledge of child development; maintain documentation on each child in the classroom and prepare written reports for meetings with parents, team members and external consultants; and prepare application packages and supporting documentation for teacher certification with the HighScope Educational Research Foundation.
• Ability to communicate clearly and succinctly while interacting with children daily and adapt communication strategies to meet individual children’s needs; communicate with parents, team members, and other professionals to share information and solicit feedback and input into discussions; respond to questions and inquiries from parents; and discuss occurrences in the centre with the supervisor and other members of the team.
• Ability to support and project values compatible with the organization.
If you are interested in becoming a casual part-time (supply) Child Care Teacher in one of our centres, then please apply on-line
Please apply online, by the closing date Dec 31, 2020 quoting competition number 2020-1254, or drop off your resume to the Region of Waterloo, Information Desk located on the main floor at 150 Frederick Street, Kitchener, ON N2G 4J3.
We thank all applicants in advance; however, we will be corresponding only with those selected for an interview.
The Region of Waterloo is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We encourage qualified applicants to apply and will accommodate the needs of qualified applicants under the Human Rights Code in all parts of the hiring process.
Alternate formats of this document are available upon request. Please contact the Service First Call Centre at phone number (519) 575-4400, TTY number (519-575-4608) to request an alternate format.
Click here to view the job description pdf file.
The Regional Municipality of Waterloo,
Apply for this job
Human Resources Department
150 Frederick Street, 3rd Floor,
Kitchener, Ontario N2G 4J3