Length: Full Time
Department/Division: Corporate Services/Treasury Services
Hours of Work: 35 hours per week
Union: CUPE 1883
Salary/Wage: $59,932.60 - $68,086.20 per annum/$32.93 - $37.41 per hour
Location: Administration Headquarters, 150 Frederick Street, Kitchener
Closing Date: December 11, 2019
Description of Duties:
Determines and implements procurement methods and procedures for the purchase of goods and services, in accordance with the Region’s Purchasing By-law; sources and analyses goods and services for the preparation of specifications, bid documents, contracts and agreements, purchasing processes, and bid evaluations; and provides procurement cycle, contract, and project management support to client departments and vendors.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
• Knowledge of procurement methods and processes in a political environment, normally acquired through a 3-year college diploma in Business Administration, Supply Chain & Operations Management, or related discipline (e.g., Commerce, Economics) plus 2 years of buying experience on major commodities or a grade 12 diploma plus 5 years of buying experience on major commodities. Must be certified as a Certified Professional Public Buyer (CPPB) from the Universal Public Procurement Certification Council (UPPCC), or have completed at least 50% of the Certified Supply Chain Management Professional (CSCMP) program from the Supply Chain Management Association (SCMA) upon hire.
• Knowledge of Regional, Federal, and Provincial policies, procedures, and legislation (e.g., Competition Act, Sales of Goods Act, WHMIS portion of the Occupational Health and Safety Act, Construction Lien Act, Labour Relations Act, basic contract law, taxes and customs, special licenses).
• Analytical and research skills in order to develop, evaluate, determine, and recommend purchases and procurement practices; source vendors; assess procurement methods according to cost analysis; and maintain knowledge of market conditions and technology. Accuracy and attention to detail in order to establish product specifications and contract terms/obligations.
• Human relations and communication skills to provide support and advice to clients; respond to inquiries and provide mediation regarding bid awards and vendor performance; negotiate contract terms; understand clients’ needs; interview sales/technical representatives; act as a resource to divisional, multi-disciplinary teams, committees, and cooperatives; liaise with clients, vendors, and other organizations; and participate as an effective team member.
• Computer skills with ability to use Oracle modules, MS Word and Excel, the Internet/Intranet, and a document management system.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality and exercise judgment and discretion when handling confidential information.
• Ability to travel to locations within and outside Waterloo Region.
• Ability to support and project values compatible with the organization.
Please apply online, by the closing date Dec 11, 2019 quoting competition number 2019-2197, or drop off your resume to the Region of Waterloo, Information Desk located on the main floor at 150 Frederick Street, Kitchener, ON N2G 4J3.
We thank all applicants in advance; however, we will be corresponding only with those selected for an interview.
The Region of Waterloo is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We encourage qualified applicants to apply and will accommodate the needs of qualified applicants under the Human Rights Code in all parts of the hiring process.
Alternate formats of this document are available upon request. Please contact the Service First Call Centre at phone number (519) 575-4400, TTY number (519-575-4608) to request an alternate format.
Click here to view the job description pdf file.
The Regional Municipality of Waterloo,
Human Resources Department
150 Frederick Street, 3rd Floor,
Kitchener, Ontario N2G 4J3