Length: Full-time (2 Positions)
Department/Division: Corporate Services/Facilities & Fleet Management
Hours of Work: 40 hours per week (Monday – Friday 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.)
Union: C.U.P.E. Local 1656
Wage: $32.53 per hour
Location: Operations Centre, 100 Maple Grove Road, Cambridge and various locations as assigned
Closing Date: September 2, 2019
Description of Duties:
Performs preventive, demand, and corrective maintenance on mechanical operating equipment, building environmental systems, building envelope, and grounds at various Regional facilities with the objective to meet the requirements of a safe and reliable workplace.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
• Knowledge of building maintenance and operations, maintenance management systems and procedures, and most building trade disciplines. Must have a community college certificate as a Class II Building Environmental Systems Operator or equivalent (e.g., education and/or experience in the 6 components of the certification program), plus a Gas Technician II certificate, plus a Refrigeration & Air Conditioning Mechanic 313A certificate OR a Gas Technician I certificate plus a community college certificate as a Class II Building Environmental Systems Operator or equivalent (e.g., education and/or experience in the 6 components of the certification program). Must have 3 years of continuous experience operating and maintaining building environmental systems as a Gas Technician (I or II).
• Knowledge of and ability to comply with policies, procedures, and standards; industry standards; municipal by-laws; local utilities standards; American Society of Heating, Refrigeration, and Air Conditioning Engineers standards; and legislation (e.g., fire codes, building codes, health and safety, Ontario Gas Utilization Code, Boiler and Pressure Vessels Safety Devices Act).
• Ability to keep knowledge and skills up-to-date as it relates to new buildings, materials, systems, and technologies (e.g., LEED standards, automation and other control systems, code, legislation).
• Proven skills in building maintenance including HVAC systems, direct digital and pneumatic control systems, electrical, plumbing, variable air volume controls, induction systems, building automation systems, and water treatment systems.
• Analytical and problem solving skills to assess a wide range of problems and determine appropriate solutions.
• Ability to read and interpret blueprints and schematics, work orders, and technical submissions, including air balancing reports and wiring schematics for mechanical equipment.
• Computer skills with ability to use email, the internet, a work order management system, document management system, and BAS systems.
• Communication and interpersonal skills to exchange information with co-workers, contractors, and clients, and participate as an effective team member.
• Ability to log equipment readings and general building maintenance activity, manually or via computer. Ability to read, understand, and perform work per operating manuals, work orders, and instructions.
• Must have a valid class G driver’s license and acceptable driving record to operate Regional vehicles.
• Must provide an acceptable police record check as a condition of statute, regulation, or funding. Must provide an acceptable Security Background Check to meet Waterloo Regional Police Service security requirements for working in police facilities.
• Ability to work staggered hours to suit the needs of building occupants as well as statutory holidays, weekends, and overtime as required/assigned, or when participating in regular standby rotation schedule to respond to emergencies, callouts, equipment failures, and breakdowns.
• Ability to support and demonstrate the Region’s values.
Please apply online, by the closing date Sep 02, 2019 quoting competition number 2019-1488, or drop off your resume to the Region of Waterloo, Information Desk located on the main floor at 150 Frederick Street, Kitchener, ON N2G 4J3.
We thank all applicants in advance; however, we will be corresponding only with those selected for an interview.
The Region of Waterloo is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We encourage qualified applicants to apply and will accommodate the needs of qualified applicants under the Human Rights Code in all parts of the hiring process.
Alternate formats of this document are available upon request. Please contact the Service First Call Centre at phone number (519) 575-4400, TTY number (519-575-4608) to request an alternate format.
Click here to view the job description pdf file.
The Regional Municipality of Waterloo,
Human Resources Department
150 Frederick Street, 3rd Floor,
Kitchener, Ontario N2G 4J3