Department/Division: Planning, Development & Legislative Services/Region of
Waterloo International Airport
Hours of Work: 40 hours per week
Union: C.U.P.E. Local 1656
Wage: $27.32 per hour
Location: Airport Operations Centre – 75 New Germany Lane, Breslau
Closing Date: July 17, 2020
In Summer, performs landscaping, grounds, and equipment maintenance. In Winter, assists in grounds, facilities, and equipment maintenance, and works variable shifts and hours (which can include weekends) and extended shifts (8-10 hours) for snow removal. At all times, works according to regulations, legislation, policy, and safety standards.
• Knowledge of airport operations, procedures, requirements, and major components (e.g., aerodrome, grounds, buildings, equipment, vehicle maintenance), and communication and math skills, normally acquired through a Grade 12 education and 2 years of related maintenance experience.
• Must meet Transport Canada regulations for operating airport vehicles and machinery by completing in-house training.
• Must hold a valid Restricted Radio Telephone Operators Certificate (Aeronautical).
• Must hold a valid Airport Vehicle Operators Permit (AVOP) or attain within 10 days of employment.
• Must hold valid CPR and emergency first aid certification or attain upon employment.
• Knowledge of and ability to comply with policies, procedures, and Transport Canada regulations/ guidelines (e.g., manual of airport traffic directives, radio telephone operator handbook, federal aviation regulations, security regulations, aerodrome standards and recommended practices).
• Understanding of emergency response procedures and ability to assist in emergency response.
• Must hold a valid D driver’s licence with Z endorsement and acceptable driving record to operate corporate vehicles.
• Ability to read and understand instructions, schedules, reports, regulations, procedure and equipment manuals, and other material related to flight movements. Ability to read and interpret aviation weather terminology. Ability to write maintenance and procedure reports.
• Communication skills to respond to inquiries from tenants and the public; exchange information with contractors, tenants, and other airport staff; and participate as an effective team member.
• Ability to work variable shifts and hours (which can include weekends) and extended shifts (8-10 hours) for snow removal.
• Must provide an acceptable police records check and Transport Canada security clearance check for restricted area identification card.
• Ability to support and demonstrate the Region’s values.
Please apply online, by the closing date Jul 17, 2020 quoting competition number 2020-1589.
We thank all applicants in advance; however, we will be corresponding only with those selected for an interview.
The Region of Waterloo is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We encourage qualified applicants to apply and will accommodate the needs of qualified applicants under the Human Rights Code in all parts of the hiring process.
Alternate formats of this document are available upon request. Please contact the Service First Call Centre at phone number (519) 575-4400, TTY number (519-575-4608) to request an alternate format.
Click here to view the job description pdf file.
The Regional Municipality of Waterloo,
Human Resources Department
150 Frederick Street, 3rd Floor,
Kitchener, Ontario N2G 4J3