Supervisor, Waste Processing
Public Works – Waste Management
Are you a leader who has the ability to mentor, develop and support a dynamic team of professionals?
Do you have experience supervising, coaching and mentoring a team of non-union and unionized staff in the waste management industry?
Do you bring waste management industry specific knowledge and experience in the areas of transfer facilities, compost/curing facilities, material recovery facilities and anaerobic digestion facilities?
If yes, this role may be for you!
Reporting to the Manager, Waste Processing and Disposal, you will ensure the Region’s composting, curing, and material recovery facilities are operating in an effective and efficient manner by assisting the Manager in establishing safe, efficient, and cost effective operations to process the Region’s organic and blue box material all in accordance with the applicable Environmental Compliance Approvals for each site under their authority.
- Leads a multidisciplinary team of union and non-unionized members who are responsible for both Regional operated waste processing systems and the contract management and administration for contracted processing services
- Provides effective front-line supervision to reporting technical and operations staff including hiring, coaching, motivating, training and development, and performance management
- Plans, organizes, oversees, and schedules staff, equipment, maintenance activities, and contractors to meet the demands of the operations at three waste management facilities
- Provides expert recommendations and advice to management with respect to contractor performance management, work quality assurance, and waste processing policies
- Assists with the development, planning, and evaluation of new programs and responds to program related issues and reports on the successes/challenges to the management team
- Oversees the end market distribution of the compost produced through the Region’s organics processing system
- Assists with developing, monitoring and forecasting annual operating budget and capital budget for waste processing operations and contracts
- Ensures Waste Processing Operations adheres to Provincial Acts and regulations, municipal by-laws and policies and Regional policies and procedures
- Ensures all work is performed in accordance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and takes appropriate action as required when hazardous work practices are identified
- Supervises the heavy equipment maintenance program which consists of machine and processing equipment preventative maintenance, coordination of all repairs, tracking and reporting of the daily/monthly/yearly activities related to the equipment
- Post-secondary education in Engineering, Environmental Sciences, Applied Sciences or related discipline
- 5 years’ experience preferably in the Waste Management industry
- 3 years of direct supervisory/leadership experience; previous experience leading unionized employees is preferred
- Advanced knowledge of Waste Management practices and procedures as it relates to transfer facilities, compost/curing facilities, material recovery facilities and anaerobic digestion facilities
- Solid understanding of all relevant legislation, MOE guidelines and policies
- Understanding of the Collective Bargaining Agreement to manage unionized employees
- Polished leadership skills to build and motivate all employees and supervise contractors
- Strong financial skills to prepare and manage annual and operating budgets
- Proficiency in MS Office and ability to utilize programs such as PeopleSoft Financials
- Effective communicator with the ability to collaborate with a variety of stakeholders
- Superior public relations skills with ability attend to public inquiries
- Excellent problem-solving and decision-making skills with ability to negotiate effectively
Location: 7795 Torbram Road, (Peel Integrated Waste Management Facility), Brampton, ON
Hours of Work: Regular Full-Time, 35 hours a week
If this leadership opportunity matches your qualifications and experience, please apply online