Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health Sciences is seeking a Registered Practical Nurse (RPN). As an RPN, you will provide assessment and therapeutic interventions in a recovery-focused model of care. You will provide mental health and general nursing care utilizing the nursing process to patients with severe and persistent mental illness. You will organize and collaborate in the planning and implementation of nursing best practices with Registered Nurses and an interdisciplinary team.
The assignment is to work in our Adolescent Unit; an inpatient unit which provides assessment, stabilization, treatment and transition services for adolescents who require tertiary care.
Please Note: Although the posted vacancy is for the Adolescent Unit all Registered Practical Nurses must have the ability to work in any area of the Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health Sciences as patient needs dictate.
• Registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario in good standing.
• Current CPR – Health Care Provider (HCP)
• Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS)
• Demonstrated knowledge of College of Nurses of Ontario (CNO) Standards of Practice and commitment to maintaining reflective practice standards as described by the CNO.
• Demonstrated knowledge of Canadian Standards for Psychiatric-Mental Health Nursing, as well as relevant policies and legislation, such as the Mental Health Act and Personal Health Information Protection Act (PHIPA).
• Proven ability to work effectively as part of a multidisciplinary team.
• Experience working with adolescents an asset
• Demonstrated competence within the full scope of practice of a Registered Practical Nurse in the provision of assessment, care, medications, interventions and documentation of care needs.
• Ability to implement and model the Recovery philosophy in all aspects of care as a Recovery Champion
• Demonstrated working knowledge / experience with computers
• Meditech Experience preferred
• Proven excellent interpersonal skills and effective oral/written communication skills.
• Demonstrated excellent organizational, problem-solving, decision-making, conflict resolution and critical thinking abilities.
• Ability to perform the physical demands of the position.
• Proven good attendance record with the capability of maintaining this same standard.
• Must be available to work shifts.
• Recent psychiatric nursing experience in a mental health facility or service and / or experience working with adolescents is an asset
• The ability to work with clients of diverse ethno-racial and cultural backgrounds and proficiency in a second language is an asset.
• Research experience is an asset.