Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health Sciences is seeking a Registered Nurse’s (RN’s). As an RN, you will provide assessment and therapeutic interventions in a recovery-focused model of care. You will provide mental health and general nursing care utilizing the nursing process to patients with severe and persistent mental illness. You will organize and collaborate in the planning and implementation of nursing best practices with Registered Nurses and an interdisciplinary team.
The assignment is to work in our Dual Diagnosis Services (DDS) Program. This unit provides inpatient and comprehensive outpatient and outreach services to its patient population. DDS provides services to adults who are developmentally handicapped with a serious mental illness and who present with significant behavioural challenges. By combining expertise in the assessment and treatment of behavioural handicaps, the unit also provides specialized psychiatric treatment and behavioural programming. Treatment plans include life skills and recreation; supportive counseling and group programming, family support, education and consultation. The multidisciplinary team helps the patients address their difficulties through skills assessment and instruction, goal-oriented planning, education and psychiatric stabilization.
Please Note: Although the posted vacancy is to work within DDS, all Registered Nurses must have the ability to work in any area of the Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health Sciences as patients’ needs dictate.
• Registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario in good standing.
• Current Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS)
• Current CPR Level HCP certification
• Demonstrated knowledge of College of Nurses of Ontario (CNO) Standards of Practice and commitment to maintaining reflective practice standards as described by the CNO.
• Demonstrated knowledge of Canadian Standards for Psychiatric-Mental Health Nursing, as well as relevant policies and legislation, such as the Mental Health Act and Personal Health Information Protection Act (PHIPA).
• Proven ability to work effectively as part of a multidisciplinary team and demonstrate competence in performance of the nurse facilitator/care coordinator role, case management and clinical assessment and intervention and documentation of care.
• Knowledge and experience of the challenges involved in community integration of psychiatric inpatients.
• Proven excellent interpersonal skills and effective oral/written communication skills.
• Implements and models the Recovery philosophy in all aspects of care as a Recovery champion
• Demonstrated ability to provide leadership and preceptorship role.
• Demonstrated working knowledge/experience with computers
• Meditech experience preferred
• Demonstrated excellent organizational, problem-solving, decision-making, conflict resolution and critical thinking abilities.
• Ability to perform the physical demands of the position.
• Proven good attendance record with the capability of maintaining this same standard
• Must be available to work various daytime, evening and week-end shifts
• BScN preferred.
• CNA certification in psychiatric/mental health nursing preferred.
• Recent psychiatric nursing and/or adolescents experience an asset.
• The ability to work with clients of diverse ethno-racial and cultural backgrounds and proficiency in a second language is an asset.
• Research experience is an asset.