Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health Sciences is seeking a part-time Registered Nurse (RN). As an RN, you will provide specialized care to patients with complex mental illnesses using a recovery focused model of care built upon compassion, inspiration and hope. To engage in a leadership role and to be an active and equal member of the interprofessional team. To perform Charge nurse responsibilities and may be given the opportunity to apply to the Patient Care Facilitator role
The Complex General Psychiatry C unit offers integrated inpatient programming (co-occurring treatment for alcohol/substance and mental illness) for young adults aged 18-35 years with severe and persistent mental illness, experiencing significant emotional, behavioural and functional impairment with unsuccessful or un-established transition into the adult mental health system. An interprofessional team of mental health professionals who are trained in mental health and addictions, focusing on screening, assessment, motivational interviewing and stage wise treatment, work with patients and families to establish a 6-8 week care plan with the goal of transitioning the young adult to the partial day hospital program (on site) and then successful transition to appropriate community based services
Please Note: Although the posted vacancy is to work in the Complex General Psychiatry C, all Registered Nurses must have the ability to work in any area of the Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health Sciences as patients’ needs dictate.
• Registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario in good standing.
• Current Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS)
• CPR – Health Care Provider
• Demonstrated knowledge of College of Nurses of Ontario (CNO) Standards of Practice and commitment to maintaining reflective practice standards as described by the CNO.
• Demonstrated knowledge of Canadian Standards for Psychiatric-Mental Health Nursing, as well as relevant policies and legislation, such as the Mental Health Act and Personal Health Information Protection Act (PHIPA).
• Proven ability to work effectively as part of a multidisciplinary team and demonstrate competence in performance of the nurse facilitator/care coordinator role, case management and clinical assessment and intervention and documentation of care.
• Knowledge and experience of the challenges involved in community integration of psychiatric inpatients.
• Proven excellent interpersonal skills and effective oral/written communication skills.
• Implements and models the Recovery philosophy in all aspects of care as a Recovery champion
• Demonstrated working knowledge/experience with computers
• Meditech experience preferred
• Demonstrated ability to provide leadership and preceptorship role.
• Demonstrated excellent organizational, problem-solving, decision-making, conflict resolution and critical thinking abilities.
• Ability to perform the physical demands of the position.
• Proven good attendance record with the capability of maintaining this same standard.
• Must be able to work shifts
• BScN preferred.
• CNA certification in psychiatric/mental health nursing is preferred.
• Recent psychiatric nursing experience an asset.
• The ability to work with clients of diverse ethno-racial and cultural backgrounds and proficiency in a second language is an asset.
• It is highly encouraged that staff complete the CNA certification in Psychiatric/Mental Health and/or Gerontological Nursing within five years of hire date
• Research experience an asset