Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health Sciences is seeking a Registered Nurse (RN). As an RN, you will provide specialized care to patients with complex mental illnesses using a recovery focused model of care built upon compassion, inspiration and hope. To engage in a leadership role and to be an active and equal member of the interprofessional team. To perform Charge nurse responsibilities and may be given the opportunity to apply to the Patient Care Facilitator role.
The assignment is to work in our Complex General Psychiatry B Unit. The CGP B unit is where patients, family, staff and community agencies work together to provide short-term crisis intervention, stabilization and treatment.
Please Note: Although the posted vacancy is for the CGP B, all Registered Nurses must have the ability to work in any area of the Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health Sciences as patient needs dictate.
RPN’s (or RN’s) will be alternate working on the general unit and working in the Psychiatric Intensive Care Area (PICA).
• Registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario in good standing.
• Current First Aid – Health Care Provider
• Demonstrated knowledge of College of Nurses of Ontario (CNO) Standards of Practice and commitment to maintaining reflective practice standards as described by the CNO.
• Demonstrated knowledge of Canadian Standards for Psychiatric-Mental Health Nursing, as well as relevant policies and legislation, such as the Mental Health Act and Personal Health Information Protection Act (PHIPA).
• Knowledge and experience of the challenges involved in community reintegration of long-stay psychiatric inpatients
• Proven ability to work effectively as part of a multidisciplinary team and demonstrate competence in performance of the nurse facilitator/care coordinator role, case management and clinical assessment and intervention and documentation of care.
• Proven excellent interpersonal skills and effective oral/written communication skills.
• Implements and models the Recovery philosophy in all aspects of care as a Recovery champion
• Demonstrated working knowledge/experience with computers
• Meditech experience preferred
• Demonstrated ability to provide leadership and preceptorship role.
• Demonstrated excellent organizational, problem-solving, decision-making, conflict resolution and critical thinking abilities.
• Ability to perform the physical demands of the position.
• Proven good attendance record with the capability of maintaining this same standard.
• Must be able to work shifts
• BScN preferred
• It is highly encouraged that staff complete the CNA certification in Psychiatric/Mental Health and/or Gerontological Nursing within five years of hire date
• Recent psychiatric nursing in a mental health facility or service an asset.
• The ability to work with clients of diverse ethno-racial and cultural backgrounds and proficiency in a second language is an asset.
• Research experience an asset