Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health Sciences (Ontario Shores) is a public hospital that provides inpatient, outpatient and consultation services for people with complex mental illness. Our patients benefit from a recovery-oriented environment of care built on compassion, inspiration and hope. We engage in research, education and advocacy initiatives to advance the mental health care system and are proud to work with partners across the continuum of care. If you thrive on innovation and positive change, and share our vision of Recovering Best Health, Nurturing Hope and Inspiring Discovery, Ontario Shores is the place for you.
This position is part of the OPSEU bargaining unit
PATIENT CARE ATTENDANT,FORENSIC ASSESSMENT AND REHABILITATION UNIT
$24.45 - $25.65 ( Patient Care Attendant )
Hours of Work
Full-Time (37.5 hours per week) Days/Nights/Evenings/Weekends
Main Site - 700 Gordon Street - Whitby, ON L1N 5S9 CA (Primary)
External Contract End Date
Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health Centre is seeking a Forensic Patient Care Attendant (PCA). This position is within the Forensic Assessment and Rehabilitation Unit (FARU). FARU provides assessment, treatment and rehabilitation for individuals detained under the Ontario Review Board (ORB) or the courts who require a secure setting.
Reporting to the Clinical Manager, PCA responsibilities include:
• Escorting and accompanying Forensic patients during off-unit privileges
• Monitoring and supervising Forensic patients in collaboration with the interdisciplinary team
• Communicating patient information (i.e. mental status, overall presentation, etc.) to the clinical team
• Maintaining routine levels of patient observation
• Maintaining a safe and secure environment by performing security checks and unit searches
• Monitoring patients and visitor activities
• Assisting clinical staff with all tasks needed to uphold the functioning and therapeutic environment and of the unit
• Responding to emergencies and assisting with applying restraints as required (and per policy)
Qualifications Required and Preferred
• Personal Support Worker Diploma
• Experience with psychosocial rehabilitation and recovery
• Experience supporting individuals with complex mental illness
• Knowledge of the unique experiences of marginalized communities and the impact on health outcomes
• The ability to work effectively with clients of diverse backgrounds and identities
• Experience utilizing patient care skills and techniques
• Knowledge of relevant policies and legislation, such as the Mental Health Act and Personal Health Information Protection Act (PHIPA)
• Knowledge of safety procedures, crisis intervention, and de-escalation
• Excellent communication, organization, problem-solving, and conflict resolution skills
• Proven good attendance record with the ability to maintain this same standard
• Ability to work variable hours based on patient demand
• Ability to perform the physical demands of the position
PLEASE NOTE: Although the current vacancy is for the Forensic Assessment Rehabilitation Unit (FARU), all Patient Care Attendants must have the ability to work in any area of the Forensic Program based on staffing needs.
Part-time employees who are scheduled through the CSSO will be expected to commit to a minimum of two weekends per six-week schedule.
Personal information you provide to Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health Sciences (Ontario Shores) is collected pursuant to the Public Hospitals Act R.S.O 1990, c. P.40. It will be used for the purpose of determining eligibility for employment. At all times it will be treated in accordance with the provisions of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. If you have questions about the collection of your personal information, contact the Leader, Privacy & Access at 700 Gordon St. Whitby, ON L1N 5S9; 905-430-4055 ext. 6712 or refer to the Privacy & Access pages on the Ontario Shores website. Upon request, individual accommodation can be provided to applicants who meet the required qualifications outlined in the job descriptions, and have been invited for an interview. For questions and concerns, please contact Human Resources at 905.430.4055 ext. 6191.
Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health Sciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Apply for this job
Ontario Shores is committed to diversity and inclusivity in employment and encourage applications from all qualified individuals of diverse backgrounds. Ontario Shores is also committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities as part of our hiring process. If you have special requirements, please advise us during the recruitment process.