Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health Sciences (Ontario Shores) is a public hospital that provides inpatient, outpatient and consultation services for people with complex mental illness. Our patients benefit from a recovery-oriented environment of care built on compassion, inspiration and hope. We engage in research, education and advocacy initiatives to advance the mental health care system and are proud to work with partners across the continuum of care. If you thrive on innovation and positive change, and share our vision of Recovering Best Health, Nurturing Hope and Inspiring Discovery, Ontario Shores is the place for you.
This position is part of the OPSEU bargaining unit
PATIENT CARE ATTENDANT, GERIATRIC DEMENTIA UNIT
$24.45 - $25.65 ( Patient Care Attendant )
Hours of Work
Full-Time (37.5 hours per week) Days/Nights/Evenings/Weekends
Main Site - 700 Gordon Street - Whitby, ON L1N 5S9 CA (Primary)
External Contract End Date
Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health Sciences is seeking a Patient Care Attendant (PCA) to work in our Geriatric Dementia Unit (GDU). This unit provides specialized services for seniors over 65 years of age and older with a diagnosis of Dementia presenting with disruptive behaviour. Reporting to the registered nursing staff in charge, the PCA’s responsibilities include: assisting patients with activities of daily living; escorting patients to scheduled appointments; maintaining routine levels of patient observation; assisting with the application if appropriate restraints when required; responding to emergency codes; maintaining a safe and secure environment by performing security checks of the physical environment and monitoring patients’ and visitors’ activities; recording observations, interactions, approaches and patient responses in the clinical chart; and functioning as a member of the multidisciplinary team by assisting nursing and clinical staff with general operations.
Please Note: In order to protect our vulnerable geriatric population, the successful applicant must agree to work only at Ontario Shores while we continue to cohort our staffing due to COVID -19.
Qualifications Required and Preferred
• Personal Support Worker diploma.
• Current CPR – Level HCP (Health Care Provider)
• Demonstrated knowledge of patient care skills and techniques.
• Demonstrated knowledge of relevant policies and legislation, such as the Mental Health Act and Personal Health Information Protection Act (PHIPA).
• Demonstrated ability to assist staff in providing personal care to patients and observe and report changes in patients’ condition and behaviour.
• Demonstrated working knowledge/experience with computers
• Meditech experience preferred
• Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with a multidisciplinary team.
• Demonstrated knowledge of hospital security and safety procedures.
• Proven excellent interpersonal and effective oral/written communication skills.
• Demonstrated excellent organizational, problem-solving and conflict resolution abilities.
• Ability to perform the physical demands of the position.
• Must be available to work various daytime, nights and weekend shifts
• Proven good attendance record with the capability of maintaining this same standard.
Personal information you provide to Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health Sciences (Ontario Shores) is collected pursuant to the Public Hospitals Act R.S.O 1990, c. P.40. It will be used for the purpose of determining eligibility for employment. At all times it will be treated in accordance with the provisions of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. If you have questions about the collection of your personal information, contact the Leader, Privacy & Access at 700 Gordon St. Whitby, ON L1N 5S9; 905-430-4055 ext. 6712 or refer to the Privacy & Access pages on the Ontario Shores website. Upon request, individual accommodation can be provided to applicants who meet the required qualifications outlined in the job descriptions, and have been invited for an interview. For questions and concerns, please contact Human Resources at 905.430.4055 ext. 6191.
Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health Sciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Apply for this job
Ontario Shores is committed to diversity and inclusivity in employment and encourage applications from all qualified individuals of diverse backgrounds. Ontario Shores is also committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities as part of our hiring process. If you have special requirements, please advise us during the recruitment process.