Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health Sciences (Ontario Shores) is a public hospital that provides inpatient, outpatient and consultation services for people with complex mental illness. Our patients benefit from a recovery-oriented environment of care built on compassion, inspiration and hope. We engage in research, education and advocacy initiatives to advance the mental health care system and are proud to work with partners across the continuum of care. If you thrive on innovation and positive change, and share our vision of Recovering Best Health, Nurturing Hope and Inspiring Discovery, Ontario Shores is the place for you.
This position is part of the OPSEU bargaining unit
HAIRDRESSER, RECREATIONAL SERVICES
$27.43 - $28.70 ( Hairdresser )
Hours of Work
Part-time (Up to 22.5 Hours per week) Days/Nights/Evenings/Weekends
Main Site - 700 Gordon Street - Whitby, ON L1N 5S9 CA (Primary)
External Contract End Date
A hairdresser is required by Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health Sciences to provide hairdressing and barbering services to inpatients and outpatients as well as providing counseling and health teaching regarding hair care. Reporting to Therapeutic Recreation and Vocational Rehabilitation Services, the Hairdresser is responsible for performing hairdressing service, either on the unit or in the salon throughout the Centre by:
• Carrying out such duties as: haircutting, shampooing, styling, colouring/dying/tinting and trimming facial hair. Other related hairdressing duties such as scalp treatments and reporting health and behavioural concerns to appropriate clinical program staff. This service is provided on the units such as the senior’s mental health, forensic areas and in the isolation rooms when requested as well as in the salon.
• Other duties include maintaining a clean and safe hairdressing salon by:
• Cleaning and sterilizing all equipment in compliance with the Centre’s health and safety regulations and standards, maintaining a record of services provided, requisitioning supplies, sending equipment for repairs as necessary, and keeping the salon clean.
Qualifications Required and Preferred
• Licensed as a Hairdresser in Ontario
• 3 years experience working with special populations
• First-Aid and CPR required
• Ability to work independently and within a team
• Some computer knowledge required and strong communication, problem solving and scheduling schedules required
• Ability to maintain good attendance and perform physical demands of the position
• Knowledge of hairdressing/barbering trends, styles and techniques as well as appropriate use of hair care/cosmetic products and equipment to provide hair services to patients, like styled cuts, colour, shampoo, etc and to operate a fully equipped salon
• Knowledge of relevant program policies and procedures relating to rehabilitation services (i.e. laws related to health and safety in the workplace)
• Knowledge of mental health and to recognize need for emergency assistance (i.e. seizures and non-compliant patients)
• Experience in a healthcare setting working with special populations
Personal information you provide to Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health Sciences (Ontario Shores) is collected pursuant to the Public Hospitals Act R.S.O 1990, c. P.40. It will be used for the purpose of determining eligibility for employment. At all times it will be treated in accordance with the provisions of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. If you have questions about the collection of your personal information, contact the Leader, Privacy & Access at 700 Gordon St. Whitby, ON L1N 5S9; 905-430-4055 ext. 6712 or refer to the Privacy & Access pages on the Ontario Shores website. Upon request, individual accommodation can be provided to applicants who meet the required qualifications outlined in the job descriptions, and have been invited for an interview. For questions and concerns, please contact Human Resources at 905.430.4055 ext. 6191.
Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health Sciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Apply for this job
Ontario Shores is committed to diversity and inclusivity in employment and encourage applications from all qualified individuals of diverse backgrounds. Ontario Shores is also committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities as part of our hiring process. If you have special requirements, please advise us during the recruitment process.