OCAD University is seeking an enthusiastic, collaborative researcher with training in data analytics, machine learning modelling and systems, and visualization design. The position is a full time, eight-month appointment. Working closely with OCAD University PI, Dr. Sara Diamond, and industry partner RBC, the postdoctoral fellow will undertake the development and prototyping of a systems architecture with accompanying visualization strategy. They will be a member of the Visual Analytics Laboratory at OCAD University. They will work closely with the RBC Digital Marketing & Sales team for the majority of their internships.
The Digital Marketing and Sales Decision Optimization Project will assist RBC to design an effective way to organize, analyze and visualize their data to develop analytics and tools to drive results through insights (i.e. optimize data marketing). The bank sector work force needs effective tools to manipulate data in developing, implementing and assessing marketing campaigns. Campaigns must be optimized for the right channel, right time, and right value proposition for diverse segments of prospective and existing clients. The system would support teams from initial stages of developing an RBC product promotion and sales campaign, to performance measurement and benchmarking, to augmenting a campaign’s decisions with the goal of optimizing sales for the bank. Prior ethnographic and visualization research undertaken by OCAD U will feed directly into the Accelerate Digital Marketing and Sales Decision Optimization Project Mitacs proposal. An initial wireframe has been created and over the period of research it will be further developed and refined into a systems architecture with one or more components of the system fully prototyped and tested.
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Work closely with Dr Sara Diamond to design and conduct research in the areas of (i) visual analytic tools, (ii) systems architecture design, and (iii) data analytics;
- Work closely with the RBC team to develop and test a systems architecture to support digital marketing and campaign optimization;
- Work closely with RBC to develop appropriate visualization interfaces and user experience design for the high-fidelity prototype of the system;
- Provide computational leadership for tools development;
- Apply user-centric design in the development of the system;
- Provide day to day leadership for Master’s interns, under overall direction of PI.
- Conduct literature reviews in the above research areas as appropriate
- Design usability evaluations with OCAD U researchers and larger team and conduct with hospital employees
- Participate in VAL planning and post-doctoral fellows meetings
- Publish research results in key academic journals and conference proceedings
- Candidates must possess a PhD computer science or a related field, with capacity in data analytics and understanding of Artificial Intelligence
- Knowledge of data visualization application development
- Prefer knowledge of Tableau, D3
- Experience in working within research teams and leading students in research
- Comfortable working in an industrial research setting
- Some exposure to design methods
- Ability to work independently, meet deadlines, and push forward a program of research
- Ability to work at RBC downtown and OCAD U downtown Toronto once COVID-19 restrictions are lifted
- Ability to work remotely effectively
OCAD University is Canada’s largest, specialized University of art, media and design in Canada. OCAD U is located in the heart of Toronto, Canada’s largest centre for design, culture and business. This vibrant nexus brings together a diversity of creative forces, including the Digital Futures Initiative and sLab, the Strategic Foresight and Innovation Lab, both of which offer graduate programs. The university OCAD U offers its students a unique environment that combines studio-based learning with critical inquiry. Students and researchers at OCAD U experience a range of research contexts and methodologies via the university’s significant research arm. Members of the OCAD U community – our students, faculty and graduates – are uniquely qualified to act as catalysts for the next advances in culture, technology and quality of life.
Hours of Work: Full-time; Grant funded, Monday to Friday for a total of 35 hours per week. The expected duration of this contract is eight months, subject to funding
Compensation: $55,000 per annum, pro-rated for the duration of this contract, less statutory deductions
Application Deadline: The position will remain open until filled (review of applications will commence on receipt). Interested applicants should provide a one page covering letter explaining their interest, an academic C.V. and three references by selecting “Apply Now” below.
As an institution committed to art, design, digital media and related scholarship, OCAD University recognizes the profound and essential value that diversity brings to the creation, reception and circulation of creative practices and discourse. OCAD University understands that valuing diverse creative practices and forms of knowledge are essential to and enrich the institution’s core mission and vision as an art and design university with a local and global scope.
As an employer committed to employment equity, we encourage applications from members of equity-seeking communities including women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities/expressions.
We encourage members of designated equity-seeking groups to self-identify within the voluntary Applicant Questionnaire .
OCAD University is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free experience to applicants with accessibility needs. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage during the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resources for more information or refer to OCAD U’s Policy of Accommodation in Employment for Persons with Disabilities .
All qualified persons are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents of Canada will be given priority. While we thank all candidates for their interest, only those short-listed will be contacted.