Job Posting #23208
Public Health Nurse Child Health
Approximate Duration: 12 months
About Niagara Region
Serving a diverse urban and rural population of more than 430,000, Niagara Region is focused on building a strong and prosperous Niagara. Working collaboratively with 12 local area municipalities and numerous community partners, the Region delivers a range of high quality programs and services to support and advance the well-being of individuals, families and communities within its boundaries. Nestled between the great lakes of Erie and Ontario, the Niagara peninsula features some of Canada’s most fertile agricultural land, the majesty of Niagara Falls and communities that are rich in both history and recreational and cultural opportunities. Niagara boasts dynamic modern cities, Canada’s most developed wine industry, a temperate climate, extraordinary theatre, and some of Ontario’s most breathtaking countryside. An international destination with easy access to its binational U.S. neighbour New York State, Niagara attracts over 14 million visitors annually, as well as a steady stream of new residents and businesses.
The Public Health Nurse (PHN) provides services in health promotion, health protection and disease treatment and prevention for individuals, families, groups and communities, under the direction of the Senior Management Team of Niagara Region Public Health (NRPH) and guided by the strategic plan, the Ontario Public Health Standards, the Canadian Public Health Association competencies, Community Health Nursing standards and the College of Nurses of Ontario standards.
The PHN combines knowledge from public health, social and nursing sciences to engage in assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation of public health programs and services.
Services are provided through home or office visits, community clinics and presentations, agency liaison and collaboration.
The PHN works according to program specific plans, policies and procedures of Niagara Region Public Health.
- Baccalaureate degree required in Nursing (BScN)
- Current Registration as a Registered Nurse with the College of Nurses of Ontario.
- Current certificate in CPR.
- Experience in a community health or public health setting is an asset
- Experience with youth, children, and/or families
- Knowledge of routine immunization requirements
- Past accomplishments will demonstrate excellent communication skills (verbal and written), group presentation and facilitation skills, counseling skills and the ability to work effectively on a multidisciplinary team
- Skills in immunization
- Computer literacy is required.
- French language skills an asset.
- May require a Criminal Records Check and Canadian Police Clearance Certificate
- May require tuberculin skin test
- Work flexible hours including weekend standby and/or evening hours
- Completion of anaphylaxis response training upon hire
- Participation in annual influenza vaccination campaign/mass immunization as required
- Must be able to travel throughout the Niagara Region to various locations
- An annual influenza vaccine is recommended
Uncover the wonder of the Niagara Region and join a team dedicated to meeting tomorrow’s challenges TODAY!
Let us know why you would be an excellent team member by submitting your online application.
We thank all candidates for their interest however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Apply NowEmail to Friend
Email Job Posting
Send Email to
Your Email has been Sent
Back to Job Listings
« Other jobs