Job Posting #23505
About Niagara Region
Serving a diverse urban and rural population of more than 430,000, Niagara Region is focused on building a strong and prosperous Niagara. Working collaboratively with 12 local area municipalities and numerous community partners, the Region delivers a range of high quality programs and services to support and advance the well-being of individuals, families and communities within its boundaries. Nestled between the great lakes of Erie and Ontario, the Niagara peninsula features some of Canada’s most fertile agricultural land, the majesty of Niagara Falls and communities that are rich in both history and recreational and cultural opportunities. Niagara boasts dynamic modern cities, Canada’s most developed wine industry, a temperate climate, extraordinary theatre, and some of Ontario’s most breathtaking countryside. An international destination with easy access to its binational U.S. neighbour New York State, Niagara attracts over 14 million visitors annually, as well as a steady stream of new residents and businesses.
Reporting to the Director Legal and Court Services, Legal Counsel is responsible for providing legal support and advice on a broad range of legal matters to the staff and Council of The Regional Municipality of Niagara including the development, review and implementation of agreements, by-laws, policies and procedures, general municipal law, administrative law, planning and development, real estate law, expropriations, environmental law, regulatory compliance, risk management, civil litigation, employment, labour and human rights matters and representing the Region before courts, administrative tribunals and boards and negotiating with external agencies and partners at municipal, provincial and federal levels.
- Post-secondary degree from a recognized university.
- Law degree from a recognized law school.
- Successful completion of Ontario Bar Admission Course.
- At least 5 years legal practice with emphasis on general municipal law (including municipal planning and development), civil litigation, contracts, real estate, procurement and freedom of information/privacy (preferred).
- At least 3 years experience in municipal law.
- At least 1 year supervisory experience (preferred).
- While the minimum experience required is necessary to carry out the diverse obligations of Legal Counsel, the Region values experience and will assign varying workload based on that experience.
- Must be a Barrister and Solicitor entitled to practice law in Ontario.
- Must be a full member in good standing of the Law Society of Upper Canada.
Provides professional legal services and expertise in the areas of civil litigation, regulatory litigation, real estate law, municipal planning and land development law, environmental law, commercial law, municipal law, contract law, administrative law and construction law, as well as areas of the law specifically relevant to the Region including, including procurement, development charges, freedom of information and protection of privacy, long-term care facilities, social assistance and public health law.Provides legal advice and counsel to clients, carrying out transactions with significant legal elements, and intermediating between clients and specialized outside legal counsel, and reporting to client.Manages and directs work assigned to outside Legal Counsel when required, ensuring the Niagara Region’s interests are being served.As a member of the Leadership team, assists with planning and management of financial budgets and staffing
- May be required to support emergency operations under the incident management structure, at the direction of the Emergency Operations Centre Director
- Must be able to work under pressure with tight deadlines and limited information combined with significant risk to the Region associated with an incorrect or incomplete advice.
- Regional staff strive to enable the strategic priorities of council and the organization through the completion of their work. Staff carry out their work by demonstrating the corporate values of service, honesty, choice, partnership and respect.
Uncover the wonder of the Niagara Region and join a team dedicated to meeting tomorrow’s challenges TODAY!
Let us know why you would be an excellent team member by submitting your online application.
We thank all candidates for their interest however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Apply NowEmail to Friend
Email Job Posting
Send Email to
Your Email has been Sent
Back to Job Listings
« Other jobs