Job Posting #23539
Health Promoter Seniors Dental
Approximate Duration: 6 to 12 months
About Niagara Region
Serving a diverse urban and rural population of more than 430,000, Niagara Region is focused on building a strong and prosperous Niagara. Working collaboratively with 12 local area municipalities and numerous community partners, the Region delivers a range of high quality programs and services to support and advance the well-being of individuals, families and communities within its boundaries. Nestled between the great lakes of Erie and Ontario, the Niagara peninsula features some of Canada’s most fertile agricultural land, the majesty of Niagara Falls and communities that are rich in both history and recreational and cultural opportunities. Niagara boasts dynamic modern cities, Canada’s most developed wine industry, a temperate climate, extraordinary theatre, and some of Ontario’s most breathtaking countryside. An international destination with easy access to its binational U.S. neighbour New York State, Niagara attracts over 14 million visitors annually, as well as a steady stream of new residents and businesses.
Reporting to the Program Manager, the Health Promoter is an integral member of a multidisciplinary team.
The Health Promoter applies their expertise in determinants of health, health promotion and community development to support programming under the Ontario Public Health Standards (2008) and the relevant legislation such as the Health Protection and Promotion Act.
The Health Promoter identifies program priorities by reviewing existing epidemiological, behavioural and socio-demographic data, and thorough assessments of community assets and needs.
Through facilitating community mobilization, the Health Promoter builds capacity and partnerships around shared health priorities.
The Health Promoter maintains current knowledge of the literature and best practices and critically appraises research to assist with setting priorities, targeting programs and developing public health strategies and health promotion interventions.
The Health Promoter may be assigned to one of several programs in the divisions as noted above.
- Bachelor’s degree in or Health Studies or other related discipline.
- Demonstrate knowledge about the following concepts: the health status of populations, inequities in health, the determinants of health and illness, and strategies for health promotion
- Strong communication (written and oral) and interpersonal skills are required.
- Knowledge of current Public Health issues, procedures and legislation.
- Excellent organization and time management skills.
- Strong computer skills including Internet use
- Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team
- Strong initiative
- Knowledge and skills in the following areas community mobilization healthy public policy development mass/multi-channel media and communications social marketing behaviour change and advocacy.
(Program Competencies – contingent on program assignment)
- Knowledge of one or more of the following program areas such as chronic disease prevention, infectious disease control, sexual health, STDs and HIV, vaccine preventable disease, environmental or public health promotion, and/or paramedical issues.
- Certificate in CPR preferred
- Must display an acceptable comfort level with various health related topics.
- Must be capable of maintaining professional objectivity in order to perform consistently with the philosophy and objectives of various programs.
- Must provide own transportation and be able to travel throughout the Niagara Region to various locations.
- An annual influenza vaccine is recommended.
Uncover the wonder of the Niagara Region and join a team dedicated to meeting tomorrow’s challenges TODAY!
Let us know why you would be an excellent team member by submitting your online application.
We thank all candidates for their interest however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Apply NowEmail to Friend
Email Job Posting
Send Email to
Your Email has been Sent
Back to Job Listings
« Other jobs