Job Posting #23475
Communications Centre Operator II
About Niagara Region
Serving a diverse urban and rural population of more than 430,000, Niagara Region is focused on building a strong and prosperous Niagara. Working collaboratively with 12 local area municipalities and numerous community partners, the Region delivers a range of high quality programs and services to support and advance the well-being of individuals, families and communities within its boundaries. Nestled between the great lakes of Erie and Ontario, the Niagara peninsula features some of Canada’s most fertile agricultural land, the majesty of Niagara Falls and communities that are rich in both history and recreational and cultural opportunities. Niagara boasts dynamic modern cities, Canada’s most developed wine industry, a temperate climate, extraordinary theatre, and some of Ontario’s most breathtaking countryside. An international destination with easy access to its binational U.S. neighbour New York State, Niagara attracts over 14 million visitors annually, as well as a steady stream of new residents and businesses.
Assist in the development and coordination of the shift schedule for the Dispatch Section including shift coverage for vacation, sick and lieu time.
Assist in the maintenance of a Repair and Inventory Record System and a Rental Chargeback System for Radio and Paging Equipment.
Assist in the coordination of radio equipment maintenance and repair and recommends replacement of radio equipment.
Receive, place, record radio and telephone messages to maintain communication within the Region.
Call in emergency personnel in accordance with standard procedures and maintains shift logs and related records.
Respond to appropriate alarm systems and calls out emergency staff for all departments as required.
Receive complaints from the public and dispatches appropriate personnel to investigate the complaint.
Coordinate utility locations with Patrol Foreperson for various road projects
Assist with the responsible for the operation, maintenance and inventory of a Region-wide Motorola VHF radio system.
Work directly under the supervision of the Lead Hand, with contractors, Region staff, radio users, outside agencies, and Emergency Services to produce an active two-way radio system and an efficient Communications centre.
Work in conjunction with Regional Managers and Client Agencies in the development and updating of procedures for situations that arise 24/7 in the Communications Centre.
Staff scheduling and training as well as supplying relief for absenteeism.
- Completion of Grade 12 minimum with training in computer software and programming
- Three to five years technical experience in minor repair and maintaining of the current digital VHF radio systems and related technologies and software.
- Three to five years experience in a Communications Centre.
- Must possess knowledge of various VHF Radio Equipment and Radio Communications Centre Operation.
- Must have working knowledge of radio theory and equipment programming.
- Required to be knowledgeable of Industry Canada regulations and licensing requirements.
- Must have working knowledge of computers and industry standard computer applications and software.
- Must possess general knowledge of Regional operations related to roads, water and waste water and facilities.
- Must possess strong verbal communication skills and be able to accurately place and receive radio and telephone messages.
- Ability to troubleshoot and repair minor problems with radios and various communication system components.
- An ability to organize daily work loads
- It is the employee’s responsibility to possess and maintain a valid and restriction-free driver’s license of appropriate class to carry out the duties of the job.
Shift Information: our Transportation Dispatch operates 24 hours a day, 7 days per week, 365 days per year. This position is subject to overtime, 12-hour shifts and shift rotation, including days, evenings, nights, holidays and weekends.
Uncover the wonder of the Niagara Region and join a team dedicated to meeting tomorrow’s challenges TODAY!
Let us know why you would be an excellent team member by submitting your online application.
We thank all candidates for their interest however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Apply NowEmail to Friend
Email Job Posting
Send Email to
Your Email has been Sent
Back to Job Listings
« Other jobs