The Corporation of the Municipality of Clarington
Planning Services Department
Ongoing Recruitment for Adult Crossing Guards (Various Locations)
Applications are accepted throughout the year and hired on an as-needed basis.
The Municipality of Clarington is pleased to accommodate individual needs in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, within our recruitment process. If you require accommodation at any time throughout the recruitment process or in performing your position, should you be selected, please contact the Human Resources Division at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Municipality of Clarington is a dynamic, rapidly growing municipality east of Toronto in the Regional Municipality of Durham. Clarington encompasses the urban areas of Courtice, Bowmanville, Newcastle Village and Orono.
If you have safety in mind, are outgoing, if you like working in an outdoor environment in all weather conditions and would enjoy keeping children safe on their way to and from school, you may be suited for this position.
The successful candidate will have/be:
The position will be under the supervision of the School Crossing Guard Coordinator.
Some responsibilities the successful candidate would undertake but are not limited to would include:
- To control the flow of traffic to allow for the safe, supervised crossing of students and pedestrians.
- Communicate clearly and effectively using spoken commands and hand signals.
- Instruct students and other pedestrians in safe crossing procedures
- Exercise sound judgement in determining safe opportunities for students to cross based on weather conditions, road conditions, distance and speed of traffic, gaps in traffic and distracted driving.
Hours of Work:
School Crossing Guards work during the school year (September to June, excluding holidays and P.A. days) and must be able to work shifts between the hours of 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday to Friday. Exact times are based on crossing guard locations. School crossing guards are required to be at their assigned crossing site in the morning, during lunchtime and after school.
Rate of Pay: $472.55 bi-weekly
The successful candidate must provide, at their own expense:
- Valid Ontario Driver’s Licence
- A satisfactory criminal reference check (CPIC), from a Canadian Police Information Centre, before commencing employment. Applicants who have been employed with the Municipality within the last year and have provided a CPIC within the last 365 days are exempt.
Please submit your resume and/or application to:
Please Quote File #5-20
Human Resources Division
Municipality of Clarington
40 Temperance Street
Bowmanville, ON L1C 3A6
Emails may be forwarded to email@example.com; applications will not be retrieved from other sources (file sharing sites – One Drive).
Applicant information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, 2001 (S.O. 2001, c.25) to determine employment eligibility with the Municipality of Clarington. Questions about this collection should be directed to the Director of Corporate Services, 40 Temperance Street, Bowmanville, ON L1C 3A6 905-623-3379.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those under consideration will be contacted.